Internet Connection Problem with Virgin upgrade

GBL 18:23 28 Mar 09

Everything was running fine until Virgin upgraded the line a few days ago then it has caused problems.Running XP Pro with a Linksys wireless router, it was connected direct to the PC, but the phone point is about fourth in line from the BT master box. I now have the router connected direct to the Master box,I think that was the problem, but this is quite a distance from the PC, I have a PCI wireless card fitted but can only get 47% signal strength which is insufficient to get internet connection.Any suggestions on how to increase that or overcome the problem.Is there a limit on how long an ethernet cable should be?? I have a BT extension cable but it has the wrong plug on one end. At the moment I am down to using the laptop.

mgmcc 08:09 29 Mar 09

>>> Is there a limit on how long an ethernet cable should be??

Maximum length is 100 metres click here and you are much better running an extra length of ethernet cable from router to PC than running extra phone cable from master socket to router.

howard64 09:39 29 Mar 09

your extension lead? the socket at the end should be a standard phone socket which you then plug your filter into to get the adsl modem connected to.

GBL 19:26 29 Mar 09

Sorry been so long in replying but internet connection so hit and miss slower than dial up at times. Will be on the phone again to Virgin in the morning.

GBL 17:43 30 Mar 09

Thanks mgmcc, not sure what I need to do yet Virgin working on it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5