Internet connection problem, Tiscali.

Sapins 09:50 13 Aug 04

A friend here has been having problems, for a long time, with maintaining an internet connection. It is so bad he is thinking of changing his ISP and/or also the possibility of having a digital phone line installed, Numeris with France Telecom, which is supposed to give a constant connection of 600Kbps?

Location - France

Windows XP

IE 6 and Outlook Express 6

ISP - Tiscali

Telephone Line Provider - France Telecom
. Engineer has visited the house and thoroughly checked the line, no fault found.

Quote from latest e-mail to me.

"Steadily our ability to get onto and stay on Internet gets worse. For occasional periods of a few hours things are relatively normal but that doesn't happen so much now. Typically we try to access our server, Tiscali, and a message comes up saying "The connection was terminated by the remote computer before it could be completed " or "The remote computer did not respond". After trying six or seven times we generally make a connection - any speed from 2 to 46 Kbps. But having got on line doesn't mean all is well or that we will then receive or send what we want in a continuous way. The computer generally stutters along with all the time our keeping our fingers crossed that it won't cut out altogether before it is finished. its task."

If anyone can help us check settings etc; it will be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Sapins.

Sapins 12:00 13 Aug 04

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:47 13 Aug 04

Clear internet cache and temporay files.

Set virtual memory to max (let windows manage it)

ensure enogh free space on hard drive for windows swap files and temporary intenet files.

internet options - connections - settings advanced - automaticaly detect settings

Sapins 13:03 13 Aug 04

Hi Fruit Bat /\0/\, thanks for your help, I am hoping to collate all the responses and talk to my friend over the weekend, I will post here if anything resolves the problem,

Thanks again.

Stuartli 14:27 13 Aug 04

Tiscali's settings and troubleshooting tips are comprehensively listed in its Help pages - I presume it will be the same for your friend's Numeris link.

Sapins 14:36 13 Aug 04

Hi Stuartli, the problem is he doesn't read enough French to go through the help files and he hasn't yet got a Numeris line. Would Tiscali's settings and tips be the same for each country, he could then have a look at the UK site.

astronomer2 14:59 13 Aug 04

Fruit Bat's advice is the same as given me by Globalnet when the same thing happened two weeks ago on my OE6. Can't say it improved things much;)

astronomer2 14:59 13 Aug 04

Fruit Bat's advice is the same as given me by Globalnet when the same thing happened two weeks ago on my OE6. Can't say it improved things much;)

Sapins 15:12 13 Aug 04

Hi astronomer2, all advice welcome with this particular problem, if we try something and it doesn't work nothing lost. I don't want a deranged friend on my hands:-(

Jackcoms 16:00 13 Aug 04

Move away from France to the UK. 'Nuff said!

Sapins 16:30 13 Aug 04

Give me one good reason! The ISP problem doesn't count;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…