Internet connection problem (I think)

joanne957476 09:52 09 Feb 09

Looking for help cos I'm now getting annoyed with my PC. My internet mostly works ok except for a couple of odd things - I can't sign in to Windows Live Messenger, can't download music from iTunes and can't log in to my Ancestry account. The Windows Live error message mentioned a prob with 'key ports' but I have no idea what that means

wotbus@ 10:02 09 Feb 09

Sounds a bit like a Firewall problem.
Which Firewall are you using?

recap 10:06 09 Feb 09

You may get a better understanding of the problem if you look in the Event Viewer in Control Panel/Adminastrative Tools. Check the Application and System properties, as wotbus@ say's it could be related to your firewall. Hopefully looking in the Event Viewer you may see which application is causing the problem.

wotbus@ 10:07 09 Feb 09

It also sounds a bit like a Malware problem.
I think before you do anything else, do some maintenance.
XP?
System File Check - Run some AntiMalware programs - CCleaner (for rubbish and Registry) - Do an in depth scan with your AV software.

joanne957476 10:13 09 Feb 09

Yes, it's XP. Sorry, forgot to say.
I've tried disabling my firewall temporarily but it doesn't seem to help.
I have Spybot Search and Destroy, will that do it?

brundle 10:22 09 Feb 09

There's a troubleshooter for Live Messenger which will detect if ports are blocked. click here
Can you access secure sites normally? (https://... in the address bar, along with a padlock)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…