Internet Connection Problem

Butterworth 15:25 07 Feb 03

I recently bought a new computer with Windows XP installed along with Norton Internet security/Firewall. Since loading AOL I have consistently had problems connection to the internet. One time it connects with no problem, the next I hear a BT recorded message saying that the number has not been recognised and to please try again. The only way I can get connected is by going into the edit numbers box and swapping the numbers around until I can get a connection.
I have been in touch with AOL regarding this and tried all the remedies thay have suggested such as uninstalling and reinstalling AOL, editing the SETUPMODEM STRING,deleting the modem and reinstalling etc but to no avail.

Old PC man 20:50 07 Feb 03

bump

Office 20:52 07 Feb 03

Try changing the modem in to another pci slot. I had a similer problem and I removed the modem and installed it to another pci slot. dont forget to uninstall the modem first.

Old PC man 22:59 07 Feb 03

I tried to post earlier but traffic seemed to have overloaded the net.

It would seem that your modem has an intermittent fault, probably a bad tone. This will cause the triggering of the BT response having dialled an unregistered number or area code.

If Office's suggestion doesn't work you could try borrowing another modem. If the problem goes away, you need a new one.

Cheers John /#))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…