Internet Connection Problem

Redshank 13:48 04 Oct 07

Hi, absolute beginner here! I switched from AOL to Sky (Broadband) a couple of months ago. I have AVG Antivirus installed, together with McAfee firewall (which came free with aol - I've just left this on my pc when I terminated my aol account).
My internet connection has been fine up to two nights ago, now I can't connect. My homepage on internet explorer is Google, when I click this it just displays a blank white page, eventually timing out (very occasionally, it loads the Google front page and appears to be OK but then the connection instantly drops).I tried all the solutions on the "Sky help" but to no avail, then spent over an hour on the phone with a technical help representative who ran through everything again (all the lights on the router etc are OK). He then checked the line/connection from their end, and confirmed this was OK. He basically ran out of ideas and Sky have washed their hands of me. Their only suggestion is that it "could be a virus blocking a port" and suggest I ring AVG and/or McAfee.
Could there be a simple soultion to this?...or do I have to contact AVG/McAfee? Presumably there are some simple checks I can perform via internet explorer etc? Please help!
Thanks.

jack 14:32 04 Oct 07

delete the connection[network connections highlight it and delete.
Now do a bit of registry editing - quite simple
Go to Start /run/type in the field 'regedit'
Go to 'Edit' on the top bar and 'find'
type one the field AOL.
All the comes up highlight and delete.
No go to Control and add remove software and remove McAfee.
Now reboot
If you have an propriery firewall in go the Control Panel and make sure the Windows one is off
Now reboot and reinstall Sky

birdface 18:25 04 Oct 07

If it is only your Home page that you cannot get.Try,Internet Options. Advanced.and press re-set.Now you may loose any add ons and things but they are easy enough to rectify.I had the same problem yesterday and remembered Skidzy telling someone to do that.Does your home page work Ok in Firefox.It did for me but not in IE7.Now this worked for me and I hope that it will work for you.If in doubt wait until someone else can help.

Redshank 22:59 04 Oct 07

Many thanks Jack, that fixed the problem and I'm back online.
But now I have another problem - I cant turn Windows firewall on. I get the message "windows cannot start the windows firewall/internet connection sharing (ICS) service.
Any ideas?

tullie 08:05 05 Oct 07

Download Zone Alarm Free

jack 13:44 05 Oct 07

I assume you resolved the Firewall problem by the tick - is that so?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos