Internet connection problem

Ironman556 23:55 13 Jan 06

Hi, I have a PIII 500, 384MB SDRAM, Gigabyte 6-BXE Motherboard, USB1.1 and Windows 2000. I connect to the internet via a USB Wireless adapter (DWL-120+) though a Netgear DG824M Modem/Router/WAP.

A while back my pc crashed and I couldn't get onto the internet at all. I re-installed the adapter several times, and it sets up, finds the access point and connects with a "good signal strength" (all bars full)

I'm left with the problem that if I want to connect to the internet, I have to go Start-->Settings-->Network Connections double click the connection and remove the TCP/IP protocol, then shut the PC down. I then have to reboot, re-install the TCP/IP protocol and *not* restart the pc when prompted. I can then use the internet. I then have to uninstall the TCP/IP protocol before shutting down for it to work the next time.

Any ideas what's gone wrong?

AndySD 02:05 14 Jan 06

Which Windows 2000 service pack are you using?

Ironman556 12:41 17 Jan 06

will check later when I get home.

Ironman556 19:16 25 Jan 06

It's Windows 2000 SP4

AndySD 06:56 29 Jan 06

Hi

Sorry missed your return posting.

click here# (It works in 2000) it may well be there are multiple entries for the networking device, remove the ones not needed.

Ironman556 12:39 31 Jan 06

will post back and let you know how i get on.

Ironman556 23:31 16 Feb 06

Have found what I think is the culprit, Protowall driver is installed as a network device, but will not uninstall. I'm sure there's some info somewhere in one of those links you sent me, but will have to wait until I have time to mess the connection up in between fixing it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…