Internet Connection Problem

rhayman 00:59 05 Jan 04

Hi i am trying to fix a pc for a friends.
the problem is when i connect to the internet it connect fine and the connection registers but the connection does not do anything, its just dead, when i try using internet explorer it comes up with this page could not be displayed, i tried using live update with norton anti-virus and online games (provided with winXP), ecen tried usin mozilla.

its not the modem (hes using a new one he just brought)
its not his house phone line because i tried using his pc at my house and the same happens and its not the isp, tried other isp (pay as you go)

anyone know what the problem is or will he he have to refer his machine to a professional.

rhayman 01:01 05 Jan 04

sorry for the spelling.
just thought i would mention the connection is 56k and the OS is WINXP PRO

beeuuem 01:30 05 Jan 04

You say that he has Norton A/V( i tried using live update with norton anti-virus). Do you have the firewall installed and, if so, is it set to allow access to the Internet?

THE TERMINATOR 01:35 05 Jan 04

Hi rhayman,
I had this prob a while ago & checked add remove programs for anything installed that would access the internet, but there was not. I then checked msconfig to see what was launching at startup and found 2 programs that I thought could be, so I unchecked them, re-booted and all was ok. Theres so much stuff installed these days with 3rd party software or spyware it might be a good idea for your friend to get a copy of adaware6.0 and check his drive for spyware, or even a virus might be his problem.

Tog 07:39 05 Jan 04

Does he use the XP firewall or has he installed another one?

rhayman 13:26 05 Jan 04

the xp firewall was originally enabled but i disabled it.

rhayman 13:27 05 Jan 04

and it didnt make any difference

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…