Internet Connection Problem.

Longinus 14:34 31 Oct 03

Hi all.

I really struggle connecting to the net.I have ADSL broadband and sometimes I have to re-boot many times before a connection is made.I just got a new USB modem and it's made no difference.

My O/S is windows 98se.

It's really strange though,sometimes I can log-on straight away and other times I have to re-boot many times.Has anyone got any ideas as to why this is happening and how it can be resolved?

sil_ver 16:35 31 Oct 03

It may be more to do with your ISP than your PC. The only other thing, Is your modem running from the PC or via a powered hub? as the PC can't always supply enough juice to power it.

Laser157 16:57 31 Oct 03

This is not a complete solution, but you might just find that rather than re-booting, just unplugging the modem's USB connection and putting it back may do the trick. Allow a few seconds for the modem to get itself online before trying to connect.

Longinus 18:07 31 Oct 03

The modem is running from the PC via a USB port.

It also says I should not unplug the modem unless the PC is turned-off.

sil_ver 23:07 31 Oct 03

I dont see why you shouldn't unplug it when it's still switched on as that's the whole point of USB

powerless 23:10 31 Oct 03

You can unplug it as thats the point of USB (one of many whatyamacallits)

AS you are not connected, just whip it out.

Reconnect it back up and allow it sync the ADSL line.

Then try to reconnect.

Update the drivers for the modem.

Longinus 19:27 02 Nov 03

Thanks for the comments.

In the user guide it you should not disconnect the modem when the PC is switched on.I suppose they mean switched on and connected to the ISP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…