internet connection on 'new' computer

dijo 19:15 18 Mar 08

Hi all, I have just go my 'new' computer, bought second hand, it is 2004 windows xp home, most things work ok, the guy I bought it from drew me a pic of where to connect everything, my problem is connecting it to my dial up internet with btyahoo!, firstly the cable for the modem on the back of the tower, there are two places to plug it in one says line and one says phone, my diagram from seller says plug it into the phone socket, is that right? I have had to folow instructions from bt to connect as they no longer supply cds to connect, as soon as I connect it clicks off! then after a few tries windows shuts down and restarts! I am having a nervous breakdown! also on the bottom right hand corner of my screen ther is a symbol of two comps with a cross through? when I originaly connected to the internet I managed to stay on for about 20 minutes, then I was taken to microsoft and it said to download some updates which I did then after that I had problems with my connection? The former owner (very elderly and hardly used the computer) in 2004 when he first had it he was connected to freeserve and I was wondering if that was part of the problem, I have gone to control panel and where it says uninstall software and taken off anything I could see with freeserve, but when I dial up for the few minutes I am on the browser still has the free serve logo in the top right hand corner and it says microsoft internet explorer provided by freeserve, how do I get rid of that? HELP!

gengiscant 19:31 18 Mar 08

Remove the branding.
click here

wee eddie 02:52 19 Mar 08

It is easy/ish to remove but not really necessary.

When you first go on-line (Dial-up, I believe) your system is likely to spend a considerable period of time downloading M$ updates and IE7. You could be talking about being on-line overnight.

They are necessary for your security. Some may argue that not all are necessary but I do not have sufficient knowledge of your PC or your Surfing habits to suggest which ones might safely ignore

Poitier 14:29 20 Mar 08

Your original instruction is not correct.You should connect from the wall phone socket to the line socket of the modem. On mine the LH socket you face has a diagram of a connector and the RH socket a diagram of a phone to which I do not connect.

dijo 18:24 20 Mar 08

Thanks all for the advice!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac