//some 3rd party need geo

Internet connection - keeps dropping

Maughan 21:27 15 Oct 05

Hello.

I have:

- modem and wireless router
- BT broadband
- laptop (connected by wireless network card)
- PC (connected by ethernet cable)

The PC connects to the internet just fine every time.

The laptop has a good strong signal from the router and usually connects OK to the internet. But more often, there is no internet connection - the message from IE is that I am trying to work offline.

The common factor seems to be that the internet connection is always OK when the "Internet Gateway" is showing as one of my Network Connections BUT the Gateway doesn't always open/appear, and I don't know how to force it to open (or make it open automatically). (The odd thing is that sometimes I can connect to the internet even when the Internet Gateway is not showing as a Network Connection.)

Can anyone please identify how to make the Internet Gateway open/activate automatically?

Thank you!

M

splork 22:37 15 Oct 05

What make of router and modem? Do you have a standard `BT broadband` connection in Network connections - if you're on ADSL it needs to dial-in anyway doesn't it? Try using a cable to connect to the wireless router, as you do with your PC, just to eliminate any network issues with your laptop if you haven't done that already

Maughan 15:02 16 Oct 05

Hi Splork

Thanks for your post.

I have a Belkin modem/router (model F5D7632-4) and Belkin wireless laptop card.

I do NOT (ever) have a "BT Broadband" connection showing in Network Connections on the laptop. I DO on the PC, but it shows as "disconnected" (but the internet connection is always fine on the PC).

Right now, I am connected to the internet (obviously!) but I don't have the "Internet Gateway" connection showing on either computer. (Sometimes it does appear on the laptop - not the PC.)

I am fairly sure that the wirless side of things are fine (I have a good strong signal), although sometimes I cannot connect to networked files (for a minute or two) - perhaps there is a connection. Views..?

Any suggestions?

M

TomG 15:05 16 Oct 05

Try ringing belkin 0080022355460 - their open 24/7

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…