Internet connection keeps cutting out downloading

prince midas 12:48 09 Nov 06

I find that when I want to update from the windows update site, that I cannot leave my computor more than 10 minutes alone, or it comes up with a message something like your internet connection as been idle for 20 minutes & will disconnect in 20 secs etc.Even though it as only been downloading say 10 minutes. How do I stop it switching off from internet,I am on Internet Explorer 7. Thanks for any help please.

xania 13:44 09 Nov 06

I assume you are using a dial-up connection. This will indeed timeout in the way you suggest. But there are plenty of options availble to overcome this. I wrote my own in the past but you can now get, for example

click here
click here
click here

You may also find these interesting;

click here
click here
click here

prince midas 14:30 09 Nov 06

Xania this sounds a clever idea.
I have used the first click you mentioned & set my time to 5 minutes & ping to keep in window but cannot see a window.

prince midas 14:33 09 Nov 06

I have found the little window.
Do I have to reset this each time I connect to the internet.

^wave^ 14:41 09 Nov 06

if you are timing out after 20mins then set the option to hang up to never

xania 16:38 09 Nov 06

No - the idea is that each ping is like a wakeup call to tell the Internet that you are still there, so your time-out time is reset as if you had keyed a entry. In theory, it should open a new window, but the more sophiosicated versions don't even bother to do that. More importantly, you can now walk away from you PC with this little gimmick working in the background and you will never timeout.

mstretch 13:51 24 Feb 07

just got tiscali's 2mb unlimited broadband and am running xp sp2. after between 20 mins to an hour i get a message saying page not found and in the minimise bar (in the toolbar) it says "Cannot Find Server." the only way to resolve the problem is by rebooting the computer which is quite annoying every 20 minutes. ive had 2 computer engineers who cant solve the problem and tiscali say there is nothin wrong with the connection or phone line THEY ALSO DONT HAVE ANY SUGESTIONS HOW TO SOLVE MY PROBLEM!!!! any suggestions would be greatful.

oldbeefer2 14:01 24 Feb 07

mstretch. Suggest you start your own thread for this.

mstretch 11:48 12 May 07

i got the internet thing sorted i just bot a new modem cause tiscali are crap and dont offer a replacement so i dont recommend tiscali to any1 cause even now im connected its alot slower than bt

xania 16:59 14 May 07

Suggest you put this on the Consumerwatch page.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…