Internet connection icon

Leicestertrev 09:27 23 Dec 08

I'm running Vista Home Premium with Broadband internet through a USB modem. (No wireless involved). It's all working fine, but for some reason the connection icon on the task bar sometimes stays at "not connected" with the red X symbol showing, even though I am connected. This happens regardless of whether "Activity Animation" is turned on or off, but it seems to be an intermitment fault rather than a permanent one. So far as I can see, none of my setings have changed. It's annoying not being able to reliably tell at a glance whether I'm connected or not, so I'd like to sort this. Any suggestions?

cocteau48 09:46 23 Dec 08

Maybe some help here:
click here

Leicestertrev 18:23 23 Dec 08

No, this didn't help, unfortunately,but thanks anyway! The fault is still intermittment, which doesn't make sense....does it? I've even had the "connected" icon showing when I haven't been connected. The problem seems to link with the latest Windows update, or could that just be coincidence? Help - it's beginning to drive me mad!

User-1229748 18:30 23 Dec 08

you could uninstall the update to see if that solves it

birdface 18:33 23 Dec 08

maybe try .Tools.Internet Options.Connections.Lan Settings.And tick automatically detect settings.Ok Apply.Ok.See if that helps.

Marko797 18:49 23 Dec 08

wife had this a while ago on her vista laptop. I did several googles (it seems a common vista-ism), but the one which worked in her case was:
1. Rt click the icon and select 'disable'
2. Reboot machine, and laptop re-found the connection (altho in this scenario we were wireless), and the red cross thru icon has never reappeared since. Might be worth trying.

Leicestertrev 18:53 23 Dec 08

Thanks Marko, but when I right click the icon I don't get a "disable" option. I can only turn on/off activity animation!??

Marko797 18:59 23 Dec 08

look in devices (My comp/manage/device manager/network adapter) then rt click and disable from there?
Then reboot and see what happens.
If it stays disabled, ie doesn't connect, go thru the above 'device' steps and try to enable.

VOT Productions 18:54 24 Dec 08

It's just loading up

Leicestertrev 12:48 30 Dec 08

Hi Robo,

No, it's definitely not a loading up problem. The pc and internet connection can be on all day and the icon still stays at "disconnected". I've tried eveything suggested on here so far to no avail, but having "googled" the problem, it does seem to be a common problem in Vista for which there's no consistent solution,although dear old M'Soft don't seem to be admitting it. Maybe my honeymoon period with Vista is over. (I thought it was all too good to be true......)

mooly 13:36 30 Dec 08

Not really related perhaps but may be worth trying. It has helped me in the past, but not for this particular problem.
Have you also tried right clicking the Icon and selecting diagnose and repair.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

New Corel ParticleShop plugin now available: 11 new brushes & 6 new brush packs

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…