Internet connection icon

damnthispc 20:52 06 Nov 06

I've recently changed from a USB speedtouch 330 modem to a belkin wireless router modem connected to my Ethernet card. Everything is fine except for one annoying little thing, since the change I no longer have a connection status icon in the task bar. I have a local area connection icon but I would like to know the status and speed of my internet connection, especially as i have ordered a speed up grade from my ISP. Any suggestions welcome

VoG II 21:04 06 Nov 06
  Dipso 21:29 06 Nov 06

If you log into the routers interface that should give you the connection speed.

damnthispc 22:45 06 Nov 06

Thanks guys
Dispo
Yes the interface does give me data but I'm after something very simple, an icon that tells me i'm connected and at what data rate just as my old modem set up did.
VoG
I can get that from my ISP, I suppose this prog goes part of the way tho

woodchip 22:50 06 Nov 06

You cannot get speed from Icons. Only connection Speed, not Download Speed. You need to check from a Web page that check's your download speed click here

damnthispc 22:24 08 Nov 06

No I'm not after my download speed just an icon that tells me I'm connected to the Internet, as I said at the beginning my old setup created an icon that did this and hovering the cursor over it told me at what the connection speed was (2.2mb. This is what I'm trying to achieve, not worried about download speeds at all.

woodchip 22:29 08 Nov 06

If all the lights are on, on the Modem it's connected. But it should load a Icon in the system tray that will tell you your connection speed

damnthispc 22:30 08 Nov 06

yup thats what I want but don't know how and the belkin manual isn't very clear

Koochy 22:39 08 Nov 06

Go to start-control panel-network connections and then right click on the one you use to connect to the internet and select properties and at the bottom there are 2 tick boxes make sure "show icon in notification area when connected" is ticked then when you hover the cursor over the two little pc's in the task bar it will tell you your connection speed. I think this is what you are aiming for hope this helps.

Koochy

damnthispc 23:02 08 Nov 06

Already done that and have the double pc icon, this shows me my LAN speed, I'm after my ISP/Internet connection speed. Maybe I'm just a lazy sod but it's easier than several clicks to my browser belkin based interface which by the way isn't available off line for some reason.

Stuartli 23:06 08 Nov 06

This is not the actual connection speed, but the maximum speed of which your line is/should be capable.

Before I switched to an ADSL modem router I had a panel figure of 2.3MB - not surprising as I'm only around 580 yards from the exchange.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…