Internet connection has been hijacked!

Gingermum 12:00 29 Jan 03

A friend runs Windows XP, Norton anti virus and IE with the basic as-installed settings. For the last couple of weeks everytime she goes onto the Internet, new windows keep appearing with redirects to lots of other sites, some of them very undesirable. She also finds that she can no longer run Windows Update or log into her MSN account. Also, after a few seconds of trying to access a site she gets a 404 although all these other sites keep popping up.
How do I sort this for her other than reformat. Which brings me to wonder how effective is the firewall in XP? I'm not familiar with it but I couldn't find out how to configure it.
According to Norton there is no virus.

JoeC 12:04 29 Jan 03

Ad-aware or Sybot Search and Destroy to see if there is spyware on the computer. Or go Start > Run > type in MSCONFIG and check what is starting up with the computer. Also go IE > Tools > Internet Options > General. See what home page is set. I use mine set at blank. : }

JoeC 12:06 29 Jan 03
  JoeC 12:07 29 Jan 03
  JoeC 12:11 29 Jan 03
  Gingermum 17:42 29 Jan 03

Thanks for your response. I'll try these. I've already done the MSconfig and tightened up the settings in IE but it didn't help. Trouble is there is so much stuff in MSConfig startup. Some of it I can guess but I think I stripped it as far back as I dared.
Thanks anyway!

JoeC 17:59 29 Jan 03

for startup lists - what to untick etc

JoeC 17:59 29 Jan 03
  bof:) 18:03 29 Jan 03

Hi all,

look here for Start Page Guard.

click here

Look for blue writing at top of page. Its a free program that guards the web address you choose to use when you access the net.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…