Internet Connection and Firewalling

Keyhole 20:38 16 Mar 04

I am unable to set up a firewall for two Freeserve dial-up conections ("Cannot enable shared access. Error 1003, cannot complete this function.) For the 1394 LAN/Hi-speed Connection, which I never use, trying to firewall brings up the message "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled. Cannot complete this function."
My internet connection icon has disappeared from the task bar notification area, and despite re-setting it still will not appear. Also, in my Network Connections, they all show as disconnected including the OneTel broadband connection which I am actually using to post this topic!
Last night, I was unable to disconnect from OneTel except by re-starting the computer. I noticed my 1394 connection was connected, even though I never use it.
My OS is XP Home, and I have NAV 2002, currently updated.
I still have an earlier Generic Host Processes for Win32 problem, and six of the drivers and sound tests in SB Audigy Detection Test have failed.
I suspect I have a hacker, despite NAV being updated, which has gotten though one of the disabled firewalls. Is this possible and how do I fix? I am prepared to re-insatll XP if necessary.
`
PS I am also unable to enable System Restore ("not able to protect my computer....")

Keyhole 23:10 27 May 04

Resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…