Internet Connection Firewall in XP

Alan Ryan 15:05 10 Oct 03

If I turn on the Internet Connection Firewall (as Microsoft recommend) is it necessary to make a selection from the services in Advanced Setting
of the Modem Connection Properties ?

Jester2K II 15:09 10 Oct 03

Pardon? Can you re-explain the question please?

johnnyrocker 15:16 10 Oct 03

no you do it from the advanced tab on network connections properties.

cheers.

johnny

Alan Ryan 15:17 10 Oct 03

When you open up Modem Connection Properties and select the Advanced Tab and then check the box for Internet Connection Firewall, the Settings button becomes active. If you click that, it takes you to a menu of services. Hope this makes it a bit more clear.
Al.

Jester2K II 15:19 10 Oct 03

Gotcha.

It says if you are not sure run the Network Set up Wizard instead. Try that.

Alan Ryan 15:22 10 Oct 03

Thanks Jester: Yes I saw that option, but why would I need to run the Network Set Up Wizard
when all I'm thinking of doing is activating the built-in firewall ?

Stuartli 15:31 10 Oct 03

The Settings you mention are for configuring the MS ICF, including Remote Desktop Sharing on the Internet (ICF will only allow this if RDS is enabled here), on a network.

If you want to enable any of the services listed you have to click the respective check box and when an additional window opens, you enter the name or IP address of your computer; XP normally then configures the port information.

If you are on a network this ensures that only your computer receives data and no other on the system.

Adding services is done by clicking the Add button and entering the service name and TCP/IP port numbers on which the service communicates.

If you are not providing services (to Internet clients but just surfing and e-mailing), then you just need to ensure none of the check boxes are selected.

The Internet Connection Firewall ("for this connection") can also be enabled whilst configuring an ISP account via the wizard.

Jester2K II 15:33 10 Oct 03

I know what you are saying. In practise I've only ever turned it on and then left it (clients PCs). If you know you need to play with the Settings then do so. If you don't know what settings you need to play with then don't. I suspect if you used the Wizard it would make no changes in your case anyway.

Really all you need to do it turn it on. Thats it.

Settings are there for those who need them. If you are asking "do i need to change these settings?" then i suspect you don't need to touch them. 99.99999% of people who have turned the firewall on have probably never touched them.

Alan Ryan 15:38 10 Oct 03

Thanks for your comprehensive explanation, I now understand what's involved.

Alan Ryan 15:40 10 Oct 03

O.K. I guess I belong among the 99.99999%

Jester2K II 15:44 10 Oct 03

Me too...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…