Internet connection failed.

sicon67 20:09 06 Jul 04

I'm writing on behalf of my Dad whose broadband internet connection has failed.

His NTL STB is fine and is showing an ip address.

His NIC light is green.

IPCONFIG /ALL displays no ip address.

DHCP is enabled on his TCP/IP settings.

He has checked all the connections and can see no problems.

He has done a diagnostic and some things have failed including WSA SOCKETS (whatever they are).

For some reason ping 127.0.0.1 won't even get a timed out, it doesn't even ping apparently.

Any ideas? The poor bloke is lost if he can't shop around for cheap flights to Spain.

Thanks in advance

Creditman 21:41 06 Jul 04

If its relevant I lost my broadband connection yesterday, phoned NTL helpline (long time in q),after lengthy question/answer session they said there was not enough power coming thru to my modem & promised an engineer to come next day. Halfhour later they rang & said fault had been traced to my local relay station at end of my road & that it would be fixed within 3 hours. 2 hours later everything was back to normal. Excellent service. Best of luck.

VoG II 21:49 06 Jul 04

I know it is not quite the same but the blueyonder standard answer to connectivity issues is to turn the modem off, wait 2 minutes, turn it on and try again.

jonnytub 22:10 06 Jul 04

confirm VoG sentiments, heard that one many a time

sicon67 22:16 06 Jul 04

Yeah, I'll get him to do that tomorrow.

But I think it's a problem with his pc.

The diagnostic thing says wsa socket 10019 failed. Looked it up and says something about dll. But doesn't tell you how to fix it.

TomJerry 22:17 06 Jul 04

Modem (has a build-in processor/computer in small sense), so it may crash (just like a computer). So what you need to do is to switch off and reboot. The same trick also work for adsl modem/router. I had this problem once after leave the modem/router runing constant over two days.

The same trick also works for the Sky Digital reciver as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…