internet connection established but no web pages

pcgal 23:09 20 Feb 03

OK I 'VE MESSED UP, IVE SETUP MY 2 PC'S AS A NETWORK AND WAS HAPPILY SWAPPING FILES AND SHARING PRINTER ETC BUT IVE ALWAYS BEEN UNABLE TO SET THE SECONDARY COMPUTER TO ACCESS THE INTERNET THROUGH THE PC THAT CONNECTS DIRECT TO THE INTERNET. I DECIDED TO HAVE ANOTHER GO THIS EVENING AFTER READING I SHOULD INTALL NETBEUI ON THE SECONDARY PC, ALL WENT WELL INSTALLING NETBEUI ON THE SECONDARY BUT STILL COULDNT ACCESS THE INTERNET. NOW BOTH COMPUTERS CAN'T BROWSE THE INTERNET..THE PRIMARY PC CONNECTS AND STAYS CONNECTED BUT CANT FIND SERVER TO BROWSE WEB PAGES ....BOTH PC'S ON XP PROF..HELPPPPPPPPP!!

Gman 23:32 20 Feb 03

You don't say what sort of internet connection you have (dial up or broadband with an external modem) so I can't fully answer your querry at this point but to answer generally, first you do not need Netbeui at all but because you are running XP you can use the network wizard to set up correctly just make sure that when you are setting up you have disabled any 3rd party firewall that you may have installed. Once you have a good connection on both PC's you can configure the firewall to allow the secondry pc to access through it.

Hope this helps.

pcgal 23:43 20 Feb 03

YEAH THANX GMAN I' M ON BROADBAND AND I DID USE THE NETWORK WIZARD TO GET MY NETWORK UP AND RUNNING BUT FORGETTING THE NETWORK FOR A MOMENT...HAVING SWITCHED OFF THE SECONDARY PC I CAN NO LONGER SEE WEB PAGES AFTER CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET ON THE PRIMARY PC THAT WAS WORKING FINE....ITS AS IF SOMETHING HAS TRIPPED OUT IN THE SETTINGS BUT I JUST CANT SEE WHERE THE PROBLEM IS. I' M MANAGING TO SEND THIS MESSAGE AS I HAVE A DUAL BOOT OPERATING SYSTEM AND CAN STILL GET ON THE INTERNET VIA MY MILLENIUM HDD BUT NOT IN XP... THANX ANYWAY

Gman 23:47 20 Feb 03

What happens if you un plug the secondry pc completely from the network?

Switcher 00:19 21 Feb 03

Check that your firewall has not Blocked I.E.

AudioVic' 11:30 23 Feb 03

If your ISP is Swinternet, read on:

I have just returned from trying to connect a Pc to the internet. This lady, (A nurse on call) had been with the ISP for a number of years. She changed her modem, thinking it had a fault, which by coincidence it did have a fault but still capable of connections.
She has wasted time, money for my advice and the purchase of a modem. But worse, she has not received important emails and faxes relating to her work as a nurse.

There should be legislation requiring ISPs to give customers/clients a period of notice in writing by land mail, of their intention of closure/liquidation, etc.

Swinternet is to my knowledge, the latest and is the ISP that has caused this nurse "avoidable" problems.

Thank God for "GOOGLE" search! Through google I searched for "Swinternet isp". It is here that I discovered the report of closure.

I hope this is not the problem in your case.

All the best to you all!

spuds 12:04 23 Feb 03

Sorry to say this, but it would appear as though you are running three postings on the same subject. As the FE as stated, you only need one to gain attention and stop any confusion (;o)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…