Internet connection drops but PCremains on the LAN

You Splitter 19:00 15 Aug 06

Hi Guys.

Seem to be having a problem with my PC losing it's Internet connection. Everything is fine initially. The PC boots up and registers itself on our family network and I can connect to the internet no problem. However if I leave the machine on without using it for a period of time, when I come back the internet connection is lost and I have to re-boot it to get back on. The LAN connection is still there and I can acces shared documents for example.

I can't put an exact figure on he time it takes before I lose internet access. It is in the region of a couple of hours. I removed power management settings to see if the computer hibernating was triggering the problem but that does not seem to be the case.

I have entered the settings for the router and looked at the list of attached devices. My fathers computer is there but mine is shown as 'unkown device'.

However under 'LAN IP setup' an adress reservation is in place for my machine, giving the same IP adress as the 'unknown device' in the attached devices list. I have pinged that Ip address but every packet was lost; although clearly I am on the internet now!

Any help appreciated as this is annoying me slightly now.

You Splitter 20:16 15 Aug 06

Forgort to mention I am using a NETGEAR DG834 router.
(Gets me a cheeky bump too!)

You Splitter 18:41 16 Aug 06

Anyone got any suggestions? Help!

skell 18:50 16 Aug 06

Does the internet connection drop whilst you're using the pc or only when you're away from it? is it just you're pc loosing connection or is the whole internet connection being lost for all pc's.

You Splitter 21:07 16 Aug 06

Hi Skell,

No the connection only gets lost when I am away from the PC any considerable amount of time. If I sit surfing the net for three hours the connection never drops.

When it does go the other PC on the network has no problem making or maintaining a connection to the internet.

ade.h 22:19 16 Aug 06

That sounds like the same old issue that a lot of people have with the DG834G. Though I have to say that it is not really a bug, but more of an intentional behaviour.

I haven't used a netgear in ages, so I'm no longer familiar with all the settings, but you should be looking for connection time-out settings or similar. But be aware that you may not be able to change this behaviour.

A workaround can be achieved by leaving a mail client open and setting it to check for new messages every few minutes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac