Internet connection (dial up)

Davidnorthampton 14:45 17 Apr 05

i am running Windows XP and I am trying to download drivers for a printer I have been given. Unfortunately as I am using dial up the file takes a long time to download and the disconnects after 2 hours. Is there anyway I can stop it from disconnecting or increase the time limit from 2 hours to allow the download to finish succesfully?

john-232317 14:57 17 Apr 05

Sounds like the ISP cutting you off, NTL used to do it.

Do you know anybody with ADSL who would download it and put it on a cd for you ?

pj123 15:06 17 Apr 05

What printer is it?

I am on BB and will download it for you and save to CD and post it to you.

Davidnorthampton 15:07 17 Apr 05

Dont know if I do. The ISP is Wanadoo. Any way of stopping it?

Davidnorthampton 15:13 17 Apr 05

thanks pj123. Its a Dell J740.

Technotiger 15:25 17 Apr 05

Hi, it might help you in future downloads if you download DAP and set that as your default download program - it really does speed things up.

click here

Cheers.

woodchip 15:30 17 Apr 05

The Program that Technotiger links to allows you to take up where you get cut of. I used it many times when I was on Dial-Up

pj123 17:46 17 Apr 05

Dell do not make printers, so this is probably a re-badged Lexmark. (not good).

This is what I have found so far.

"my experience.. not good... BEWARE

Printer was given to me (new & unopened) from a package deal along with a new computer. Works with 2000 & XP... but Cartridges are OUTRAGEOUS, not easily found just anywhere either. This unit grabs paper unevenly after some use. Of course, this makes it print crooked on paper.

I began refilling my cartridges to save some money ($40+ on black carts alone), even this was quite troublesome. I must say though, it did survive the 3ft drop test after it ate my printed document. It is slow, but other than initial pull of paper starting, not real noisy"

Give me a link to where you went to download this printer driver.

I can't find any drivers for this printer for Win XP or for Win 2000.

As it was "given" to you that may be the reason.

Stuartli 18:02 17 Apr 05

Try FreshDownload from click here - it is free, ad free and regularly updated.

It will resume Paused or Stopped downloads if necessary.

The Download Manager in Firefox, for anyone interested, will also Resume downloads and is as efficient as FreshDownload.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017