Internet connection on client computer

John Ross 15:37 04 Dec 05

I have 2 computers networked with ethernet cable.
One is running XP home sp2, one is running XP Pro sp1. I have gone through the set-up for the network, and the appropriate icons have appeared.
The network is not reliable and does not work consistently. It is sometimes possible to identify shared files from the other computer, and other times not. (currently not)
The host has BT broadband that works fine. I am trying to get the client PC (up until recently connected by Dial-up : now disabled) to access the broadband connection. Again, the appropriate icon appears saying connected to the host broadband connection, but it doesn't allow Internet access with firefox or IE. Programs can't update.

I guess I need help with both the network and client internet connection?
I have to be honest and say I find networks a blind spot!
Thank you

keewaa 15:57 04 Dec 05

"I have to be honest and say I find networks a blind spot!"

If you have £60 spare, you might find it easier and better to buy an adsl router then, The Netgear DG834G or Belkin F5D7632uk4 would both be perfect from Amazon.

John Ross 16:02 04 Dec 05

Thanks.
I agree and this is the eventual plan.
However, I am keen to get things working with a simple wired network, before going on to wireless : I have a fear that I will buy and do all the setting up, and the problem will still be there.

ade.h 16:06 04 Dec 05

I had the same problem recently. See my two threads on the subject - the advice given by mgmcc may help you. click here and click here

John Ross 17:51 04 Dec 05

Thanks
Have now done all this, and network is running fine.
Only difference is I have to assign the IP address on the client (not for the host, which assigns 192.168.0.149) or it comes up with silly ones that don't work for the network : have assigned 192.168.0.1 for both IP address and DNS.

BUT, still cannot access Internet through the client computer.

I have ZoneAlarm free version on the host conmputer only (no firewall on client) : set to Medium for internet zone, Low for Trusted, and the IP addresses 192.168.0.1, 192.168.0.2, and 192.168.0.149 all added to Trusted zone.

Do I need to alter some of the settings leading from the Propeties tab of the Broadband window on the client computer?

Help!

John Ross 23:57 05 Dec 05

I have checked setting in IPconfig/all and all the ones for the network appear as should be, as far as I can tell.
Might there be a clue in the ipconfig info for the "PPP adapter broadband? If so I can post these.
thanks

mgmcc 08:59 06 Dec 05

<<< Only difference is I have to assign the IP address on the client (not for the host, which assigns 192.168.0.149) or it comes up with silly ones that don't work for the network >>>

Not sure that I follow this ???

When you enable "Internet Connection Sharing" on the actual internet connection (modem connection) in the "Host" PC, its Local Area Connection is automatically given the fixed IP address 192.168.0.1

The "Client" PC gets its IP address by DHCP from the "Host" and as long as it gets one in the same 192.168.0.x subnet, there shouldn't be a problem.

I would suggest in Zone Alarm (in both PCs if appropriate), you go into the left Firewall tab, then the top Zones tab. Click "Add" and select "Subnet". Enter:

IP address - 192.168.0.0

Subnet Mask - 255.255.255.0

Description - {anything} but it needs an entry.

Click "OK" and then "Apply". This will allow access to all addresses in the range 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.254 and I see that you have already correctly set the Host PC's "Internet Zone Security" level to Medium.

John Ross 18:21 06 Dec 05

Thank you, that has helped,and Internet explorer now works fine.
I had previously been entering as an IP address in Zonealarm, not a Subnet. changing it to a subnet seems to have made the difference.

Just one last problem and one last question :
Firefox still isn't working : is there something I need to alter to allow this also? (I pretty much always use firefox)
Now this is sorted I guess it is time to think of a router and WiFi. Earlier in the thread it was suggested to buy a Netgear DG834G. Is the newer and cheaper Netgear DG834GT so bad as not to be considered? Also, what is suggested for a card etc for the PC and laptop to be able to receive the WiFi signal?
thanks again.

ade.h 18:56 06 Dec 05

You won't need a card in the PC unless your router is some distance away, perhaps in another room, or it does not have an Ethernet LAN chip. If you were to place the router near the desktop, you could connect them through the usual method of an ethernet cable. An ethernet card would be cheap, at a few pounds from eBuyer or similar. You'll only need a wf-fi card in it if the router is elsewhere. The laptop will already have a wifi adapter.

mgmcc 22:51 06 Dec 05

<<< Firefox still isn't working : is there something I need to alter to allow this also? >>>

Does Firefox have permission to access the internet in Zone Alarm's "Programs" section?

John Ross 23:15 06 Dec 05

for reasons I cannot explain, after the Internet connection on the hst computer working fine for a few minutes, then intermittently for a few minutes more, I now cannot use the host internet connection again.
At the same time, I cannot access each computer across the network (ie the network has packed in) : network places in windows explorer just lists "Shared docs on (the same computer)", and "My Websites on MSN". In Powerdesk there is "Microsoft terminal services", "Microsoft Windows Network" and "Web client network". Only Microsoft windows network contains anything : Mshome, but clicking on this does nothing on the client, and on the host PC I get a warning message "Mshome is not accessible. You may not have permission to use this network resource. contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have accss permissions. Windows cannot find the network path. Verify that the network path is correct and the destination computer is not busy or turned off. If Windows still cannot find the network path, contact your network administrator".
I am stumped.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017