Internet connection - auto disconnect

pppc 18:17 03 Feb 04

a friend is running IE5 under w95. I have not been able to get the auto-disconnect after n minutes inactivity to work for her. The connection shows repeated transmissions and receptions even when ie 5 is not running.

Any ideas????????

Diodorus Siculus 18:33 03 Feb 04

"repeated transmissions and receptions" - could be an innocent program looking for updates - eg an anti-virus program.

Or could be spyware; do you have a checker? click here for SpybotSD

Diodorus Siculus 18:34 03 Feb 04

Oh, and a firewall is a good idea to find out what is coming and going.

Indigo 1 18:34 03 Feb 04

Check for spyware with Adaware AND Spybot.

pppc 22:12 03 Feb 04

Diodorus and Indigo

Many thanks to both of you. I have SpyBot on a disc and I can download AdAware from Lava so I'll try that over the weekend.

pppc 18:32 05 Feb 04

Later.

I will be taking AdAware6 and Sysgate Personal Firewall5.5 to my friend tomorrow (but as a nervous elderly lady she may feel she would rather live without them), but I don't think they will help.

I am using both (and SpyBot), but last night I was connected unattended for nine hours despite have "disconnect when idle for 10 minutes" in my DUN set-up. ((Under Connection in Configure in the modem pane.)

Is there something I am doing wrong or not doing????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…