Internet connection

Lord_Anubis 17:07 29 Jan 03

Hey
I'm just going to outline my situation before i say anything about my problem:
I'm currently connected to the internet via my universities LAN, using internet explorer 6.0 running on Windows XP Home. Well initially my internet connection was working fine, and on the whole it still is, however since i disconnected my laptop to go home for x-mas my laptop is convinced there is no live connection to the web when there is. Every so often when i navigate to a website (no specific web site, it happens randomly) internet explorer comes up with a dialogue box saying 'there is currently no available connection to the internet' and giving me two options, retry and work offline, upon clicking retry the connection aserts itself and everything is hunky dory :). Its a minor anoyance i know but i do want it back to the way it used to be. I have tried reinstalling the connection the way i originally did but all it says is the connection should already be active, and windows help sugested i repair the network connection, but when i tried this the repair operation failed because it could not 'flush the ARP Cache.

If anyone knows whats happening and/or how to repair the network connection when an ARP Cache error like the one above occures please respond.
Thanks for any help rendered however small and insignificant :D.

spikeychris 17:56 29 Jan 03

Type cmd into run then type arp what have you got?

Chris

Lord_Anubis 18:04 29 Jan 03

Thanks for the responce, i've done what you said but all i get is a list of commands for the ARP. Could you elaborate as to how i find 'what i have'? Thanks again.

spikeychris 18:08 29 Jan 03

Just been checking it out on my machine. You will have to log off the internet then run cmd and arp -d (note the space after arp)

Post back with result..

Chris

spikeychris 18:18 29 Jan 03

You can also try arp flush and ipconfig /release

Lord_Anubis 18:31 29 Jan 03

'arp -d' and 'arp flush' are both accepted as commands but they don't seem to do anything. As for ipcofig/release gives a nuber of ip addresses for my winTV Nova-t device which is treated as a network adapter. Do ya think its possible that this device is the culprit. In short i still can't repair the connetion :(

spikeychris 18:52 29 Jan 03

arp -list

whats in the list? when you type ipconfig /release does it not release the IP's? if so restart and see what happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date and features: Google Allo is…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…