Internet Connection

chochi 15:22 23 Apr 08

I upgraded to BT Total Broadband and have a Voyager220V ADSL Router
When I hover over the 2 monitor screens on the task bar it shows Local Area Network -Speed 100.0Mbps - Status Connected.
SOMETIMES I ALSO have 2 monitors showing Internet Connection - Speed 5.3Mbps -Status Connected
The Internet Connection one appears even when I am not on the computer and disappears again after a short time for no reason. When the Internet Connection monitors are not showing on the task bar, I am unable to find any reference to it on my computer when I do a search. Should I have 2 connections?
When I do a BT Health check on my Internet speed it shows around .450Mbps
So what speed am I actually getting? And why does my connection come off and on? I only have one computer connected to the router, I did have a 2nd one connected but have taken this off as it runs Windows ME and I felt it was slowing down my connection. I am on XP SP2
I have followed all the advice in the BT help pages and all my cables etc are properly connected.
Any advice will be appreciated.

DieSse 16:16 23 Apr 08

"Local Area Network -Speed 100.0Mbps - Status Connected."

This is the speed across the local ethernet cable(s) connecting your system(s) to the router.

"Internet Connection - Speed 5.3Mbps -Status Connected"

This is the nominal speed your internet connection is running at.

"When I do a BT Health check on my Internet speed it shows around .450Mbps"

I have no idea what that is - are you sure it is .450Mbps (could it be 4.50Mbps - or could it be in MBps?)

Try this speed test - several times, and to different servers. click here

DieSse 16:18 23 Apr 08

"I did have a 2nd one connected but have taken this off as it runs Windows ME and I felt it was slowing down my connection."

No - it shouldn't, unless you use both simultaneously - in which case they will, of course, share the available bandwidth.

chochi 19:19 23 Apr 08

Thanks for your reply.
The BT health check allows you to "Check my internet speed" I have just done another one and it is showing as 2.241 megabits (written like this) per second. Which means my original posting will read .450megabits. I checked the link you gave and on 4 different servers I got D/L between 1373kb/s and 2240kb/s, U/L between 221kb/s and 378kb/s and pings between 68ms and 152ms. I have no idea at all what that means - sorry.
So far today I have not got the Internet Connection monitors on the task bar, just the Local Area Connection. Where should I be able to find this? When I look at My Network Connections it only shows Local Area Connection and 1394 Connection ( I think this is for use with my Camcorder.

DieSse 19:40 23 Apr 08

Do you know what speed connection you contracted for?

chochi 22:21 23 Apr 08

The package was "up to 8Mb." A postcode check on BT website shows "we can confirm that you will be able to reach a maximum download speed of 4.0 Mbps (Megabits per second)". My speed, as per Bt checker, at the moment is 2.242megabits per sec.

wis 22:45 23 Apr 08

yes im with bt but there all the same.up to 8
right read the small print location ect ect im
not far from mine under 2 miles ,up to 8, never
got 4, up to 8 please anyone with bt thats got
over 6 let us know ill stand corrected

chochi 22:54 23 Apr 08

Can anyone advise where to find the Internet Connection. I know I have ticked the box to show the icon(monitors)on the task bar, but it has not shown today at all.

wis 23:01 23 Apr 08

chochi, can you be more spephic are we still on bt

chochi 23:12 23 Apr 08

wis
Yes we are still on BT. As per my original post:
"SOMETIMES I ALSO have 2 monitors showing Internet Connection - Speed 5.3Mbps -Status Connected
The Internet Connection one appears even when I am not on the computer and disappears again after a short time for no reason. When the Internet Connection monitors are not showing on the task bar, I am unable to find any reference to it on my computer when I do a search."

Daveboy 18:33 24 Apr 08

regardless of whether you are actively surfing or not your router has permanently connect you to the internet (logged you in). The connection speed info is held by the router so I do not know how it displays that info to you other than you logging into it-spooky !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…