Internet connection

Sparky3327 19:52 26 Oct 06

I've got an intermittent internet connection which has driven me nuts for weeks.
The "page cannot be displayed" message appears after merrily surfing for a while.
I can lose the connection for minutes or hours, after being connected for a similar length of time.
It's totally indiscriminate.
I've tried disabling and even uninstalling the numerous anti- virus and anti-spyware stuff I've got on.
And I've turned off the Windows firewall.
I've tried different ethernet cables and a different modem.
What's wierd is that I can do a successful ping test.
I'm out of ideas completely.
I run XP with a D-Link modem.

Any ideas?

Grezza.

sean-278262 03:23 27 Oct 06

"I run XP with a D-Link modem."

What version of XP and what dlink modem?

You also never say if you are on dial up or broadband. Can you clarify these things please.

Sparky3327 18:07 27 Oct 06

Sorry about the late reply, the site was slow last night and I gave up hope.

I'm on SP2 and the modem is a DSL 300T on broadband.

We've been in contact before about updating the firmware of my modem but I decided I couldn't cos I didn't want to disrupt the connection I can get with it on my wife's laptop.

Cheers,

Grezza

woodchip 18:09 27 Oct 06

The Site last Night was a nightmare. As was the Internet. BT had problems. Your disconnection may be down to lose plugs bad connections

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…