Internet Connection

Angry Kid 21:37 06 Jun 05

Can anyone help a friend of mine??

He is having problems with his new Broadband link and has been advised that the distance from his main socket (incomoming line) within his house to the socket within his study cannot exceed 10 metres.

If this is true, how can it be overcome?

Look forward to hearing from you :)

Jak_1 21:51 06 Jun 05

Who advised him? My Broadband pc is attached to about 20 metres of cable set up ny a BT engineer. It works just fine.

Angry Kid 21:58 06 Jun 05

I believe it was an AOL representative.

Thanks for your posting. I will pass this on to him.

Are you telling me that there is no limit to a reasonable length from the main socket to you pc?

Jak_1 22:10 06 Jun 05

Well it does travel along upto 4 kilometers of copper ewire before it gets to the pc so another few metres wont make any difference. One thing though, you do need decent cable from socket to pc. So long as the extention socket is fitted onto decent sized cable then I don't see a problem.

I don't trust AOL one iota and wouldn't have their software within a mile of my pc.

pj123 22:11 06 Jun 05

Don't forget you must have a filter in every telephone socket you have in the house as well?

Jak_1 00:31 07 Jun 05

pj123 That depends on the installation setup. I have only one filter that sorts all. The line comes into the house direct to a dedicated box that has both adsl conection and phone conection. Main phone and extention phone come from that box as does my adsl line, I gave away the filters that came with the modem.

The setup does need an engineer install but is well worth it as everything is neat and tidy and you know everything works before the engineer leaves. A case of one box does all.

However I still disagree with what the AOL engineer stated about a 10 metre cable being the maximum as mine is 20 ish.

ACOLYTE 00:46 07 Jun 05

Mine is set up in the bedroom and the extension goes right way around the house,must be 60/70 feet of cable and it work fine,but i do have filters on the boxes,extension and main box,so i dont think it matters how long the cable is.

Number 7 00:48 07 Jun 05

To say that the maximum length for a broadband extension is 10 metres, is, quite frankly, plain wrong.

I'm running a 2Mb/s connection on the end of a 25 metre extension lead with no problems- that's a bog standard extension lead from B&Q, not hard-wired.

As long as the signal at the main BT socket is okay, and your friend has followed the advice for broadband (filters etc), he shouldn't have a problem.

Angry Kid 19:54 08 Jun 05

Thanks to everyone for your comments and advice :))

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…