Internet Connection

civvy 11:43 10 Nov 04

Can anybody help me with this?

Some time ago my PC stopped connecting to the internet (standard dial-up with BT internet). I kept on getting a error message saying "no dial tone". After checking all the leads and phone box etc I rang up Evesham who helped me re-install the modem. This made no difference. Evesham sent an engineer who replaced the modem. The engineer then said I must have a problem with the line as he new modem would not work (he had tried 2). When I do diagnostic check on the modem it comes up OK.

I rang BT and asked them to check the line and increase the gain. This they did. Still no joy with the modem.

The phone socket works fine if I plug a phone into it. There is no call waiting or anything like that.

There is one more odd thing! If I leave the PC plugged into the phone box, after a while it switches itself on!!

Any ideas anybody? Could it be some sort of virus?
The wife and kids are moaning at me to get it fixed!!

Grateful for any advice

Andy

Noelg23 11:57 10 Nov 04

do you have any of the BT Calling features like Call Waiting, Call Diversion, 1571, Call Barring...cos these can also stop you from dialling onto the Internet...if have none of those then I have no idea what it is...I work at BT faults and we get alot of calls like this...so check if you have anything like this...also do you route your calls to another provider?

curlylad 12:03 10 Nov 04

What O/S are you using ?

civvy 12:09 10 Nov 04

Noel,

I don't have any BT "extras" at all (as far as I am aware).

Curly,

I am using Windows XP (SP1)

Thanks

Noelg23 12:10 10 Nov 04

well then I really dont know what it could be...

BigMoFoT 12:17 10 Nov 04

Is the cable in the line port and not the phone port on the back of your modem?
Have you checked for any rogue diallers on your PC?
You could try a hyperterminal test....
With it being a soft modem the diagnostics will nearly always come back as OK

ACOLYTE 12:19 10 Nov 04

Could it be the modem cable not the modem? or even a faulty parallel port?.

civvy 12:33 10 Nov 04

BigMoFoT,

I have assumed the cable is in the right port (although I will check).

What is a hyperterminal test, and how do I do it?

Thanks

Andy

civvy 12:51 10 Nov 04

Acolyte,

I have used a number of different cables.

Incidentally, the BT engineer I spoke to said I could try a "reverse polarity" modem cable (at least it was something like that). Does that make sense? Could it make a difference?

Thanks

civvy 11:00 18 Nov 04

Apologies for coming back to this but I am stil having no luck.

I have checked that all the cables are in the right place. The phone socket works fine with a phone.

Could it be a virus problem? What is the best software to use to see if that is the problem?

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the BT engineer mentioned that I might need a "reverse polarity" modem cable. Does this make sense?

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…