internet connection

leeward 14:52 30 Aug 03

This is probably a well known problem so I'm hoping for some response. I'm running win 98 and the internet connection is either extrememly slow or I get logged off within seconds of connecting. My ISP says everything is normal from their end. If its a virus, how do I get rid of it?

JIM 16:01 30 Aug 03

Not to much to go on at the moment with what you discribe.Would help to know a little more on your system spec.

Would suggest that you check that your system is up to the mim requirements for running your isp.

Does your system have enough memory,hardrive space.Run scandisk,defrag and empty any temp files,including temp internet files.Are there to many programs running in the background ? Do a repair to internet explorer

Do a check on your modem via control panel,see if there are any updated drivers for modem.
Is your phone line set on call waiting? or is your phone noisey (check out your line)
Are your settings for modem in device manager correct? Any other number you can use to connect to your ISP.?

Try uninstall of ISP software then reinstall.

Generally, there will always be an occasional disconnect. if you're getting a lot more than the occasional disconnect, something is wrong and you should methodically follow the steps below.

Follow link for more info.

click here

roygbiv 16:30 30 Aug 03

I have found that BT's 1571 service will cut off internet conections.
Also if you have a DACS box on your line. BT (150 faults will tell you) it shares your line with other people (to save BT laying more cables!).

Another thing is the blaster virus that was about a few weeks ago. It terminates your connection after a short while. Look in the forum for more info (there is alot in there).

woodchip 16:41 30 Aug 03

Set your mail to check for mail every Mins, it will be like pinging the ISP

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…