Internet connecting probs

daisy2bell 15:36 15 Jan 05

Every now and then, some application automaticaly starts up AOL and connects to the internet (I am on broadband) I have already gone into "Start, control panel,Internet options, and under connections have chosen the "Never dial a connection" option.
I have to do this time and time again as it re-sets itself
Any suggestions please as this is driving me crazy

Thanks

961 16:29 15 Jan 05

Many programmes seem to think it right to connect to the internet to check for updates and otherwise communicate with the manufacturer's server

Some of the main offenders include Real Player, Adobe, Microsoft itself and so on

One way is to trawl through the programmes on your computer, delve into the options setup they have, and make sure "check for updates" is set to manual as opposed to automatic

ACOLYTE 16:44 15 Jan 05

One way to see what programs are doing it is ,if you have a firewall is to clear the programs list
then what ever tries to connect your firewall should alert you and then check that program see if it needs to connect or not.

feb 14:16 16 Jan 05

Hi daisy2bell

Have you tried running "AOL Computer check-up"

daisy2bell 22:38 16 Jan 05

Thanks guys. It's now resolved

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…