Internet connected but "no active connection"

mcds01 11:25 06 Sep 04

this is a reoccurence of an old problem which i had posted here. I thought I had it sorted but obviously not. When connecting to the internet (dialup) it connects fine - i get the little connection bubble. Howver I cannot load any webpages. I get the "web page unavailable offline" page. MSN messenger also refuses to connect saying there is no active connection. I cannot get any emails as it will not connect to the main server. I have run all the adware and spyware tools i can find and still nothing. Recently got Norton Internet Security 2004 and installed it however i cannot update it as it also will not connect. Any help is much appreciated as always.

mcds01 16:25 06 Sep 04

conrail 16:48 06 Sep 04

is it a loose cable connection either at the pc or the modem?

Dan the Confused 19:22 06 Sep 04

Try any of the following:

1. WinsockFix click here

2. Repairing IE click here

3. Reinstalling your modem driver

mcds01 19:26 06 Sep 04

no no i am getting connected to the internet ok but I cannot access anything at all. I know im connected cos the phone line is busy and it tells me! Have noticed a couple more things. I was running Norton and went to webcleanup. It said there was a browser window open and to close it before contining. However there was no browser open and i could see no process either. Another thing - the process "MSMSGS" keeps starting itself. I get zonealarm messages asking me to allow it as a server. This is not MSM messenger cos its listed further down tho has the same icon. Why would it be trying to act as a server? Anyone any ideas whats going on?

mcds01 19:29 06 Sep 04

no no i am getting connected to the internet ok but I cannot access anything at all. I know im connected cos the phone line is busy and it tells me! Have noticed a couple more things. I was running Norton and went to webcleanup. It said there was a browser window open and to close it before contining. However there was no browser open and i could see no process either. Another thing - the process "MSMSGS" keeps starting itself. I get zonealarm messages asking me to allow it as a server. This is not MSM messenger cos its listed further down tho has the same icon. Why would it be trying to act as a server? Anyone any ideas whats going on?

Dan the Confused 19:41 06 Sep 04

msmsgs is click here

To remove it click here

mcds01 20:43 06 Sep 04

have managed to get internet access but canoot connect to the mail server, msn messenger or live update???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac