Internet conection

Scubaman 21:24 14 Dec 09

Hi I have been given a Dell Latitude D520 running XP Home and tried connecting to the net via my virgin broadband modem. I have followed every instruction from reconnecting the modem from scratch to ipconfig,refresh TCP/IP and ping command. My modem shows the enet and ready lights but wont connect. In the Control Panel, Network Connection I see Lan or High-Speed Internet and 1394 Connection, Enabled, 1394 Net Adaptor but not my Realtek RTL 8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC. If I double click the 1394 icon I get the connection status window which shows conected and the duration is ticking away and 400.00 mbps. When I click the support tab Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) there are no details in the right hand comumn, it says Unavailable> I can't access the Details tab or the Repair tab. Any ideas. Thanks

User-1229748 21:30 14 Dec 09

is your realtek in device manager and if so is it enabled?you need to go into internet options and make sure never dial a connection is set.

Scubaman 19:41 15 Dec 09

No it is not listed in device manager. I have checked internet option and dial up is not checked. Do I need to down load software for this modem? I have followed the instruction for 'How to set up the Internet connection using Ethernet','How to check the IP address on Win XP',How to connect a new computer to the cble modem and How to refresh TCP/IP in Win XP, and the Ping test. I'm baffled now!

Jollyjohn 20:35 15 Dec 09

If your Realtek is not listed in Device Manager it would suggest it is disabled. On next reboot enter the BIOS Setup - by pressing DEL or F2 or ?
and check the onboard LAN is enabled.
Then you may need to install a driver for it - check the Dell website.

Scubaman 19:49 16 Dec 09

I have managed to download the drivers for the modem and the sound as well. Took a bit of doing as my PC would not download the drivers from Dell. I used a PC with nothing but XP on it. Couldn't think what was stoppping it. So after a week of hair pulling I am sorted thanks for your help smackheadz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5