Internet Con lost if PC not used for a few min

Halmer 08:30 13 May 08

On my wireless Vista laptop, if I do not use the internet for 5 minutes or so (for example if I am compiling a long e-mail on a web based mail application and then try to send it) it seems to lose the connection. I get a timed out 'try again' message on Firefox.

The same happens if you put the Laptop down for a while and then resume surfing the net. You have to try a few times to get it up and running again. Is there a 'time out' setting somewhere or something else similar please?

Technotiger 08:32 13 May 08

Have a look in Control Panel>Power management ...

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:57 13 May 08

also check wirelss card in device manager - properties - power managemant tab - untick "allow computer to turn off"

Halmer 11:16 13 May 08

I can't find that sorry.

Poitier 11:55 13 May 08

On dialup some ISPS used to disconnect if idle for a certain length of time and it was necessary to click the scroll bar occasionly to maintain a connection.

Halmer 09:30 14 May 08

Bump

brundle 10:06 14 May 08

As suggested the above doesn't apply for wireless connections to a router or for router connections to the ISP, though there is a time-out period or idle-time that can be adjusted in most router configurations. (Linksys in this example click here - Connect on Demand, Max Idle Time)
Do you get the problem anywhere you use a wireless connection with that PC? Do you have other wireless machines that work with none of the same problems? Laptop make & model? Router make and model?

Halmer 15:15 15 May 08

you were right I think thank you. Linksys set to 5 mins idle time. Have set to keep alive ta.

Halmer 15:17 15 May 08

on the assumption that it's sorted now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant