internet cafe and updates

ian-inhome 20:42 02 Oct 09

I have been using a internet café in Spain for a few weeks. Whilst there they changed internet suppliers, this wasn’t a problem for those of us using our own laptops but the coin operated desk tops were then unable to access the internet. So they were labelled “not working” This was due to the fact that at the end of your session on these machines the pc reboots, losses any changes made and reverts to the original settings ie goes back to the original internet provider.
How is this done, is it a special program that reboots to the original each time or is there a setting on the computer that you can select so that on every reboot any changes are lost.?
If the pc is unable to accept any changes what happens about daily antivirus updates and windows updates?
The system in use was XP.

ArrGee 21:53 02 Oct 09

I doubt that the ISP changed at all. There are various applications that can restart a PC on a timed-basis depending upon what the time limits are imposed by the cafe.

To have two different ISPs in a single cafe? Perhaps I'm wrong, but that doesn't make any sense.

woodchip 21:57 02 Oct 09

The Computers will be running through a Router, he may have changed the Encryption key in the Router. Did you have to reload the key on your Laptop? was it different

woodchip 21:58 02 Oct 09

If he did change the key all the PC's will need the key updating

woodchip 22:00 02 Oct 09

They run just like any home PC its the key that keeps you out plus clock will disable it after set time if he uses one

ArrGee 22:01 02 Oct 09

ian-inhome mentions that the machines re-boot. Not sure how that would be a key problem.

lotvic 22:08 02 Oct 09

They will have 'Reboot-and-Restore' software in the cafe.
info click here

woodchip 22:13 02 Oct 09

It will reboot at the end of a session to clear cookies and rubbish build up

ian-inhome 20:39 04 Oct 09

Thank you for all the replies. When I called it a internet café that was not quite correct. It was infact a Bar / café that had free internet as long as you bought something ie a coffee / or a beer etc. The signal was not encrypted so you just switched on your laptop and it detected the wireless system but the 3 coin in the slot desktops were hard wired to the router. Whilst I was there he changed from his normal internet provider to Orange as they offered him internet at a special price.
With the laptops this came up as a different name but as it wasn’t encrypted it did not cause any problems. His desktops were locked to the old system. Lotvic gave me a link to the kind of software that he was using which I suspect was something like Deepfreeze click here this meant that it always reverted back to the old internet provider.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced