internet browsers

Camille 00:28 19 Apr 03

I want to replace IExplorer with either netscape or opera. Which would people recommend? And is it possible to get rid of IExplorer altogether from my pc? If so, how?

powerless 00:33 19 Apr 03

Which operating system do you use?

Have not used Netscape. click here

Used Opera it's very nice click here

There's also click here click here click here - Have not used them though.

Migwell 00:35 19 Apr 03

Opera is regarded as good by lots of forum readers but I have not tried it myself. Is Netscape not now run by AOL, if it is I personally would not touch it with a barge pole.

Anyway what is wrong with the best in my book which is Internet Explorer 6 ?

GANDALF <|:-)> 01:12 19 Apr 03

Try slimbrowser. It is based on the IE chassis but is more useful and simple than IE IMHO.....click here

G

Bebee 08:18 19 Apr 03

I've just downloaded CrazyBrowser
click here
Only had a little while with it yet but seems good. It gives tabbed browsing and reviews suggest it is very stable. It also has a popup filter which seems to work well.
It is based on 'the IE rendering engine'but is a very small download.
I did try Opera/Netscape/Mozilla but found some frustrations with all of them - but it depends on the type of browsing you do, I suppose.
I think there is a program - can't find it right now - that uninstalls IE from your system, but it's supposed to be a risky process.
If I can find it again I might try it with a good backup (Norton Ghost) to fall back on.

Tesman 08:34 19 Apr 03

I've tried a few browsers, but I've not found any to be significantly better than IE6. The only one I've kept on my machine is Mozilla, which does seem to be a little faster than IE, has it's own pop-up stopper and email - and this may or may not be important to you - can be "skinned" to look rather nice without apparent detriment to the prformance.

Bebee - I think you're thinking of IE Eradicator. I don't have a URL at the moment, but a Google search will bring it up. Bear two things in mind, though, you won't be able to use CrazyBrowser if you get rid of IE, and it'll do nasty things to your Active Desktop since that depends on IE as well.

Bebee 08:45 19 Apr 03

Thanks Tesman - I just found it click here

I was thinking of trying it for interest. I've now got a fairly light ME system and a fairly quick restore from Ghost. I wouldn't consider it otherwise.

I liked a lot abour Mozilla, but found it a bit sluggish with some of the multi-medi features (e.g. the news ticker on the BBC News site) - something to do with Java intergration I guess? It did work but slowed up loading considerably.

Pesala 15:22 19 Apr 03

click here but I wouldn't recommend using IE Iradicator, it can cause problems, and you will still need it to access some sites.

powerless 15:24 19 Apr 03

Pesala - good point.

Bebee 16:24 19 Apr 03

Tried IE eradicator and I was still able to browse the main sites I use, but I can't say I noticed any improvement in startup time or the general speed of progs. Have restored my original settings.

I tend to agree with Tesman that overall I haven't found anything I prefer to use other than IE.

Camille 22:29 21 Apr 03

thanks for the advice - I liked the idea of not using a microsoft product and having an in-built pop-up stopper. I thought if I could uninstall IE I wouldn't be using up too much disc space but it does look a little too risky
I think i might try Opera though - it gets some good write-ups

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…