Internet Browser: Cannot clear web links

KCR 10:14 11 Jun 03

Periodically I delete all cookies, clear internet temporary folders and clear the history. This makes quick searching for favourite sites easier. However, I have noticed that doing this doesn't clear all sites. I am using XP and this is particularly to my login.

Can anyone tell me how to clear these and where these types of 'permanent' addresses are stored so that I can delete them in future ?

Many thanks,

keith-236785 10:35 11 Jun 03

is it the history files you need to clear?

or the links from the drop down menu?,

i am on xp pro and doing what you do clears all history/web adresses etc.

dont really know what to suggest except clearing Internet Logs from windows folder

KCR 11:07 11 Jun 03

Its the links in the drop down window when you type in the URL - strange - cannot find where on the system they are stored - anyone any ideas ?

they are stored in an index.dat file that windows makes it hard for you to delete. use a third party history killer.

powerless 13:13 11 Jun 03

If your using the XP start menu > Right click taskbar > properties > Start Menu > Cutomise > Advanced > Clear list.

If you using the classic start menu > Right click taskbar > properties > Start Menu > Cutomise > Clear.

In IE > Tools > Internet Options... > Content > AutoComplete > Tick "Forms" > Clear forms.

3 in 1 ;-) Only need to do one to clear the list.

KCR 20:52 11 Jun 03

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately none of them work. Anyone know of a third party history killer or whether it is safe simply to delete index.dat ?

VoG™ 21:07 11 Jun 03

click here

Be sure to click the Options button first or it will clean more than you want (possibly).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…