internet broadband always downloading

ski2002 06:51 19 Aug 04

I have recently reinstalled windows xp. Once I have logged on to the internet the downloading blue lights on the network connection icon are always flashing. The windows xp firewall is enabled and I have completed all xp updates.
I am using a alcatel speedtouch adsl usb modem.
Any help I would appreciate, this didn't happen before I reinstalled windows

Chris the Ancient 08:40 19 Aug 04

Have you got Windows automatic update on? With a reload, there might be a lot outstanding!

Try going Start/Settings/Network Connections/"Your Provider" and see if the 'Activity, Received, Bytes' is increasing all the time.

I had this symptom on one of my machines. Rebooted it and it stopped. Never did find out what was causing it though, there wasn't anything 'extra' on the machine. (Doesn't help you, I know, but at least you're not alone!)

Also, we'll get your post nearer the top again.

Chris

ski2002 10:17 19 Aug 04

Thanks for replying.
I have already switched windows automatic update off. Also I have checked my network connections and the sent and received bytes are increasing all the time.
I have installed adaware and spybot, but it's still the same.

ski2002 10:21 19 Aug 04

Thanks for replying.
I have already switched windows automatic update off. Also I have checked my network connections and the sent and received bytes are increasing all the time.
I have installed adaware and spybot, but it's still the same.

Rigga 10:27 19 Aug 04

You could always download and install the free version of ZoneAlarm click here

Then when you've restarted your computer, all programs that require access to the internet, have to go through ZoneAlarm, and ZoneAlarm will ask you about each program that requests access.

R.

Spindrift 12:29 19 Aug 04

Does your Speedtouch USB MODEM have a Dr Speedtouch programme. If so it always phones home, always shows active on your connection even when no action is happening. Mine did but I am on Metronet PAYG BB and it fair bumped up the Mgb per day. Uninstalled it and no problems. Just a thought

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…