Internet Arghhhh!

LBUMIKE 17:43 16 Feb 05

please help!

i have a new dell laptop and already i want to throw it out of the window.

I have been trying for ages to try and connect to the internet. Every time i have download a c.d to for an ISP none seem to work... as in i try to connect and i dont get a dial tone.
i can't get a dial tone to dial out, i have check with BT and the line is okay... i have tried BT (yahoo ISP) helpline and they told me to check my line... and unable to even get through to there helpline no more as its always busy

anyways anybody got any ideas

Diodorus Siculus 17:47 16 Feb 05

Are you sure the modem cable is in the correct position? It has been known for people to stick it into the network port. :-)

[Apologies if that is not the problem.]

Jeffers22 18:34 16 Feb 05

What is the precise message? Post it exactly as it appears on screen.

LBUMIKE 14:54 17 Feb 05

there was no error response... it just dials up the ISP number, that just "beeps" after that like an engaged tone...

i have checked the network plug and its in the modem socket

Yoda Knight 15:02 17 Feb 05

"i have checked the network plug and its in the modem socket"

I hope u mean the telephone jack is in the modem socket ! :) What OS are u using ?

LBUMIKE 17:38 22 Feb 05

yeah sorry crap english on my behalf...

i'm running Windows XP, on my dell laptop

Chezdez 18:00 22 Feb 05

maybe the number you are trying to dial is wrong?

cycoze 18:20 22 Feb 05

Look in control panel and open up "phone and modems" assuming as its a new laptop it would be running XP, check to make sure the modem is there and configured correctly with the correct code for your area.

Another thing you can try to make sure you have a connection in the first place is to use hyper terminal and use the computer to phone out to a mobile phone if you have one, if it phones out to the mobile at least you know all connections are ok, if it does not then it at least whittles the problem down a little.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:44 22 Feb 05

Pick up your normal phone as if you was to make a call, do you hear a constant ring tone, or an interrupted tone?

Fellsider 18:55 22 Feb 05

You haven't got number withold on your line have you? 'cos ISPs don't like that and you may have to dial 1470 before the ISP number to connect.

JaßîsFaß ˜ 18:56 22 Feb 05

You may need to untick the 'wait for dial tone' in your modem connections (in control panel) to resolve if you have an interrupted dial tone due to the BT call back service.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…