Internet Applications

henza_mapenza 17:01 09 Nov 03

I am having trouble with some web sites like downloading from Fileplanet(MODS and PATCHES) for a game on my computer. The link when clicked on doesn't work and I am unable to download it. It tells me to "Firewalls, Routers, Proxies etc. may not only block you from connecting to your selected download but may also impede your download speed. Remember your firewall checks incoming traffic, therefore may slow you down. A virus scanner is usually sufficient when downloading. Turn off all other internet applications. Leave your connection available for your download only. Some lesser quality connections will benefit from this. Depending on your connection speed and your computer's hardware, multitasking while downloading may not be a good idea." in the help room.
But i don't know what they are. When looking in the status bar when my cursor is over the link it says "javascrip:void(..... This happens on other sites that work the same way. I am using windows XP and i have Norton Internet Security 2003 installed. I have disables that but it still doesn't work. It worked on my previous PC (Windows ME). Any advice on how to overcome this problem?

AndySD 17:20 09 Nov 03

Try installing the latest Sun Jave click here and click on Get it Now

henza_mapenza 22:06 12 Nov 03

Thanks for the post from AndySD but unfortunately it didn't solve my problem. One thing you need to know is that when clicking on the download link a window should come up but it looks like it cannot be displayed because it could be a application on my PC that is preventing it from being opened or it could be an application i need to download on the net to open it. I don't know which. Also the internet explorer bar (top of window - blue normally) because transparent when the link is clicked. Any help?

VoG II 22:09 12 Nov 03

http:// support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

Copy this, paste into address bar, remove the space after // and click Go.

Follow the instructions.

henza_mapenza 22:13 12 Nov 03

Bad Gateway
The following error occurred:
The host name was not found during the DNS lookup. Contact your system administrator if the problem is.not found by retrying the URL. (DNS_HOST_NOT_FOUND)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please contact the administrator.

henza_mapenza 22:13 12 Nov 03

While trying to go on the link sent in by VoG a message came up.
Bad Gateway
The following error occurred:
The host name was not found during the DNS lookup. Contact your system administrator if the problem is.not found by retrying the URL. (DNS_HOST_NOT_FOUND)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please contact the administrator.

VoG II 22:17 12 Nov 03

If yyou mean with the address I posted, you have to remove the space (as above).

Anyway, here's the relevant instructions>

1. Quit all programs that are running.

2. Click Start, and then click Run.

3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll and then click OK.

4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.

If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):

Shdocvw.dll

Msjava.dll

Actxprxy.dll

Oleaut32.dll

Mshtml.dll

Browseui.dll

Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)

henza_mapenza 01:57 15 Nov 03

I have tried the above *dll's but it is still not working. The problem is still the download link not working. I have found out that when i bought my PC it had already had a CUSTOMIZED version of internet explorer on it. I don't know how to remove this but still trying.
6.00.2800.1106 (Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1) (Windows XP SP1) underneath this is says cipher strength, product ID, update versions and under that is says "this is a customized version of internet explorer" could this be the problem. if so how can i remove it when it was already installed when i purchased the PC?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…