Internet access through a network

sarahgh 16:48 01 May 03

Hello,
can someone please tell me what what i'm doing wrong?
I have set up a home network (using the windows xp wizard) with my desk top as the host(connecting directly to the internet) & laptop as the client.
The laptop says it is connected to the internet & has even done an automatic update to the anti virus, but i can get nothing on internet explorer. I have been through all the windows help & trouble shooters.But it has made no difference.Internet explorer even has the little world symbol bottom right.Please could i have some advice.

LastChip 18:03 01 May 03

Disable your XP firewall, and let us know if that clears the problem please.

sarahgh 18:17 01 May 03

Sorry, i should have said. I've already done that
More advice please

LastChip 18:33 01 May 03

Is the network working correctly?

In other words, you can access files etc. with both machines from each other, and both machines appear normally in My Network Places.

sarahgh 18:55 01 May 03

Ah, this is could be it.There is nothing in my network places.However i can ping each computer from the other.I've run the wizard loads of times (on the host first)and they say they are connected.

LastChip 19:32 01 May 03

Have you shared at least one drive or file on each machine?

Sturmey 20:19 01 May 03

In Internet Explorer goto tools>internet options>connections>LAN settings, check "automatically detect settings" click ok

sarahgh 10:53 02 May 03

It is set to automatically detect detect settings, and i've now shared everything on both computers. Still no joy.Any more suggestions?

LastChip 14:48 02 May 03

Is the network part working correctly now, or not?

It is very important that the network is working correctly, before trying to share the internet.

The two operations are separate, but related.

Sturmey 17:47 02 May 03

Do your computers have the same workgroup name? on desktop right click "My computer" select properties>computer name, look for the name next to "workgroup"

sarahgh 17:49 02 May 03

I'm not sure what you mean by seeing the computers.
There is an icon showing a connection, but nothing in network places.In the windows troubleshooter it tells you how to ping each computer to check that data can be sent and this worked.
I can also transfer data using laplink gold but not without it.
However as this is the first time i've tried to network i dont even know what i should be able to do on the windows network

Sorry to be such a dummy about this and thank you very much for your continued help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…