Internet access in Europe

gangad 23:26 23 Aug 04

Hi, we're looking to take early retirement and a campervan into Europe.

Can anyone give advise on what we need to do to get internet accesss (to keep in touch by email with the family).

If possible I'll take my desktop computer with us as space isn't much of a problem, also we can use it for digital TV.

We will have at least 2 mobile phones, but will get whatever necessary fitted to make it all work.

All help will be much appreciated.

MickLey 22:05 01 Nov 04

I found internet cafes the easiest and cheapest solution, using 'hotmail' I never had a problem
Regards

egretta 14:09 02 Nov 04

Maybe you've solved your problem by now but this may still be of interest. I travel abroad alot for work and have an aol account for that reason. Although rather irritating in many ways it has the great advantage of offering local dial up numbers in a large number of countries around the world (in the start up menu you simply select thre country you are dialling from and follow the instructions). That would allow you the convenience of sending e-mails from the comfort of your camper van when there is no convenient internet cafe to hand.
Enjoy your travels!

gangad 16:14 07 Nov 04

An AOL account sounds interesting, thanks.

I've looked at a thread by Fullywired (click here) which looks promising so I'll have a better look at his link.

Hopefully we'll find some camp sites with wifi access enabled, I'm fitting a wifi card on the offchance.

It'll be several months before we take off as we have property and a business to sell, so any more help or info would be much appreciated.

Thanks all.

jack 17:10 07 Nov 04

Your desktop puter will need a 'hardphone line'
to connect I guess as here. Mobile phones are costly- So it looks like the earlier suggestion of Internet Cafe's is the solution.
You would pre type your messages in the PC load onto a disk and cut and paste in the Cafe connection. Load back your incominig on the disk, take it back to van to read in comfort.j

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…