//some 3rd party need geo

Internet access causes my PC to freeze up.

Donald101 15:34 03 Jan 03
  Donald101 15:34 03 Jan 03

Hello, I have a rather old and slow PC which is connected to the internet using a 56K modem. Very often when I am logged on to the internet the system freezes up completely without warning. It appears to occur only when on on the internet and only when I am moving the mouse or adjusting the screen size.

Help! Does anyone know why this happens? Is it because I need to get more memory.

Cheers for any suggestions.

Don. (Scotland)

recap 16:37 03 Jan 03

Donald101, could you supply us with the specs of your system? if your system has only say 16Ram or even 32Ram of memory and a low spec processor, then the more tasks you ask it to do the less responsive it will get. As with yours is it freezing up.

jasg 18:27 03 Jan 03

Another possible cause is your hard drive available space. If you are caching your net pages as you view and your hard drive is getting low on space then this will cause your system to stop responding as the windows swap file gets eaten into. To check goto to internet options where you can specify the amount of hard drive space to allocate to caching if its high and free space is low try turning this down.

Donald101 15:21 07 Jan 03

My system specifications are 32Mb ram, P120 with a hard drive of approximately 1.5 gigabytes. (told you it was dinosaur). I run windows 98 on it and I have never experienced any memory problems whilst running multiple applications before (such as word and excel). I can even run explorer offline indefintely, it is only when the modem is connected that problems occur.

I will try the hard drive suggestion, but I think there is a reasonable amount of space for it to operate with. If this does not cure the problem, is there anything else which could be responsible? A friend of mine said something about the port for the modem connection maybe being somehow interconnected with the port for the mouse. Certainly, things seem to freeze up often when I move the mouse suddenly before a page has loaded in.

Thanks once again

DOn.

Donald101 15:22 07 Jan 03

My system specifications are 32Mb ram, P120 with a hard drive of approximately 1.5 gigabytes. (told you it was dinosaur). I run windows 98 on it and I have never experienced any memory problems whilst running multiple applications before (such as word and excel). I can even run explorer offline indefintely, it is only when the modem is connected that problems occur.

I will try the hard drive suggestion, but I think there is a reasonable amount of space for it to operate with. If this does not cure the problem, is there anything else which could be responsible? A friend of mine said something about the port for the modem connection maybe being somehow interconnected with the port for the mouse. Certainly, things seem to freeze up often when I move the mouse suddenly before a page has loaded in.

Thanks once again

DOn.

woodchip 15:38 07 Jan 03

It sounds like Display drivers need to be updated

jazzypop 15:52 07 Jan 03

It could be that your mouse and modem are both set to use Com port 1, or there is some other conflict between them (memory space, IRQ etc).

My knowledge of W98 is becoming rapidly rusty, but the key to resolving it is to use Device Manager.

Try to check which COM ports, DMA settings and IRQ the mouse and modem are using. You will need to click the plus sign next to each, and then click Properties to find out.

If you do see that they are sharing, post back with the details, and we will be able to resolve it with you.

woodchip 16:01 07 Jan 03

It could be as jazzypop say's but I will stick with Drivers right click on desktop click properties Advanced performance try moving the slider down a notch

Donald101 22:29 12 Jan 03

Thankyou for your suggestions guys, much appreciated. I checked the ports and IRQ's and they seemed okay so then I increased the amount of caching memory available (I had it on the lowest setting for some reason) and I turned the advanced perfomance slider bar down as woodchip suggested.

That seemed to do the trick, I haven't had any problems recently and have been surfing fine (albeit rather slowly as usual!)

Anyway thanks once again, such a little problem but it makes such a big difference.

Cheers

Don.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…