Internet access for all users in Windows XP

jz 21:43 30 Sep 03

I have NTL broadband which works fine when I log into Windows XP with my username, but if anyone else logs into XP with their username, there is no access since access is only set up for my username. I want to make internet access available to all users.

Someone told me to try Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Connections, then double click on my ISP. If I do this for my old dial-up NTL account (which no longer works now that I have NTL broadband), I get a box called "Connect ntlworld" which has an option called "Save this username and password for the following users", which can be set to "Anyone who uses this computer". If, however, I double click instead on my broadband connection (called "Local Area Connection") I get a completely different box called "Local Area Connection Status" which doesn't give me the "Anyone who uses this computer" option.

Any ideas?

MAJ 23:03 30 Sep 03

You seem very lonely away down here, jz, with no replies. Now I'm no expert on BB as I just got mine in this afternoon, but I do remember seeing that option when I was setting it up. I just wondered if you are still connected when you double click on your BB icon (Start > Programs > Accessories > Communications > Network Connections), if so, disconnect and try it again, you might then get that "Anyone who uses this computer" option.

jz 07:33 01 Oct 03

Thanks for your reply MAJ,

I don't know how to disconnect from broadband, so I turned of the broadband modem power supply. Double clicking on "Local Area Connection" then brought up a different box called "Local Area Connection Properties", but that wouldn't let me enable internet access for all users either.

Any more ideas?

Lozzy 08:03 01 Oct 03

I take it the other users are on a limited account and not logged on as the administrator. You as the administrator must give them access.

To enable Internet Connection Sharing on a network connection click here

jz 21:04 01 Oct 03

Lozzy,

I had a look at this, but the "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" check box wasn't available, presumably because I don't have a network set up.

I only want other users of my PC to be able to use NTL broadband on my PC (not another PC connected via a network) when they log in using Switch User or whatever.

bvw in bristol 21:40 01 Oct 03

Sign on to your machine and don't log off, another user should be able to use the internet if you use Switch user.

jz 17:48 02 Oct 03

Hi bvw,

I tried that, but IE attempts to use my former dial-up connection, so no luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…