Internet Access

Octoz 09:04 12 Nov 03

A Colleague has been given a fairly old Computer, no CD-ROM drive and no access to external CD-ROM. She wishes to connect to the internet but we can only identify ISP's that put software online (which we can't access)or on CD-ROM (which we can't utilise) any ideas how to proceed?

johnnyrocker 09:10 12 Nov 03

what about using the internal modem?

johnny.

Gongoozler 09:12 12 Nov 03

Hi Octoz. I recently boaght an old pc with no operating system, and the only way to get the software onto it was via a cd-rom. I solved the problem by buying a LG drive from E-Buyer for £12 click here. The drive doesn't have to be a permanent installation, it could be borrowed from another computer and returned after the software installation. In my case, the drive really needed proprietary guide rails to fit it, but I used a combination of strips of mdf, double-sided adhesive tape and hotmelt glue to do the job!

Gongoozler 09:17 12 Nov 03

johnnyrocker's advice gives me another idea. You don't necessarily have to use an ISP's software to set up an account. If you go to the ISP's web site on another computer, you may be able to get all the settings you need to manually enter the data to set up an account. However, these days a computer without a cd-drive is little more use than the proverbial chocolate fireguard, and a cd-drive is one of the easiest computer upgrades to fit.

Octoz 11:38 12 Nov 03

Many thanks to you both Gongoozler & Johnnyrocker. I think a new system would be the most sensible way forward.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5