Internert Explorer 8 & Memory Leakage

Actor One 21:29 29 Aug 09

I have a severe problem with Internet Explorer 8 in that every time I use it, it starts to eat up all my memory, and crashes my system, this has only occured in the last two weeks when a compatability view update was released and updated my version (auto updates - fool?, or wise?) I`m using firefox 3.5.1 to access the internet for the moment, my question is what is causing this memory increase, I`ve used restore points, they won`t work as they say my disk has failed (it hasn`t), have unistalled IE8 and re-installed, (didn`t work), I have no viruses, no malware, nor trojans, so I`m scratching my head.

I`ve also had a couple of BSDs where windows failed as well. I`m stumped. I`d like to know what`s causing the problem just in case it`s not a more serious Vista (fool, idiot?) problem.

Like I said on using Firefox, no problems, never liked using it before, prefered IE, but I may have no choice if I can`t solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.

sunnystaines 21:48 29 Aug 09

goto - tools - internet options - adv tab - press reset.

test again for memory if ok

goto - tools - manage addons and re enable one at a time to identify the faulty software when found delete with ccleaner and install fresh download.

if none of the above works report back

Actor One 22:03 29 Aug 09

It`s none of the add-ons causing the problem, all are disabled, and as soon as I do a search or use the favourites button IE8 starts to eat memory until it runs out, & I have 4GB - I have uninstalled it once & re-installed it to no effect.

sunnystaines 13:51 30 Aug 09

have you scanned with free superantispyware for spyware.

click here

Actor One 16:02 30 Aug 09

Thanks for this - it found
Browser Hijacker.Deskbar (5 registry keys)
&
Rootkit.Agent/Gen-Rustock[kbi] 1 file & three registry keys.

All my other security software missed all of these, I have Avenquest Systemsuite 9 with Netdefense, Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware Aniversary, Sunbelt Antivirus, SBRC RegBootcleaner & Spyware Blaster, some of which are PERMANENTKY active, so how the... die they get past..

I shall quarantine these items and see what happens...we`re not totally out of the woods yet..

Actor One 16:16 30 Aug 09

It seems to have worked, IE8 now doesn`t use up memory, though I had to delete my original desktop icon for it, and replace it with a new one.

I shall make sure nothing else is lurking, but thanks for the tip.

sunnystaines 17:21 30 Aug 09

time to change some of your security software.

keep spywareblaster & spybot search&destroy [I scan every weds after its weekly update]

SAS & MBAM click here
[I scan MBAM after each database update]
[scan with SAS whenever something is suspect]

run CCleaner before shutdown each night.

get a good AV & Firewall [plenty to choose from]

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…