Internal Virus Database out of date: message appearing on incoming mail

patrici 13:33 PM 30 Sep 12

Been having computer issues all week. Now noticed the message 'internal virus database out of date' showing on my incoming mail (all known to me - not Spam) instead of the usual 'No virus detected AVG'

I have free AVG and Zone Alarm. All says up to date and protected. So why?

Can anyone please help? I am not technically minded at all, I'm afraid, so please speak slowly!!

mgmcc 13:53 PM 30 Sep 12

I don't use AVG but are you able to perform a manual update of its definitions to see if that resolves the problem?

patrici 14:51 PM 30 Sep 12

Thank you. I did a complete computer scan this morning (about 3 hours). All fine. Now I've just done a manual update on AVG. After, I did a test email from my gmail a/c and it showed as 'no virus....'!! Could it be that simple?? I'll wait for another email to arrive and check the message again.

I have Zone Alarm firewall (?) and when I checked it said 'fully protected'. But then a box popped up saying it's an old version and should be updated. Can I trust it? Should I update? I'm usually very cautious of messages just 'popping' up. Actually, I did click on update (with trepidation) and the 'blocked pop-up bar' showed, so I closed it! Should I disable the bar temporarily to allow the updated version to proceed?

patrici 14:54 PM 30 Sep 12

Thank you. I did a complete computer scan this morning (about 3 hours). All fine. Now I've just done a manual update on AVG. After, I did a test email from my gmail a/c and it showed as 'no virus....'!! Could it be that simple?? I'll wait for another email to arrive and check the message again.

I have Zone Alarm firewall (?) and when I checked it said 'fully protected'. But then a box popped up saying it's an old version and should be updated. Can I trust it? Should I update? I'm usually very cautious of messages just 'popping' up. Actually, I did click on update (with trepidation) and the 'blocked pop-up bar' showed, so I closed it! Should I disable the bar temporarily to allow the updated version to proceed?

lotvic 11:28 AM 01 Oct 12

There should be an option somewhere in Zone Alarm toolbar for you to manually check for updates. That would be best way if you are wary of popup.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia Z5 review: Hands-on with the phone which the Z3+ should have been

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Get your photos turned into illos by some of the world’s best artists

What to expect at the September Apple event: Apple announces 9 September event, sends out invites