Internal USB Cable/adaptor

dynosor 17:14 07 Jan 04

I have just bought a front panel mounted card reader type usb2. with an internal cable and 8 female connector, which connects to the usb pins on my motherboard.My motherboard only supports usb1.1. But I have a USB2 PCIcard with normal usb ports. I would like to be able to connect my card reader to the usb2 port but am unable to because of the pin conflict. I have been to PC world etc but cannot find anything that will enable me to connect the card reader to the usb2 port. Has anyone any ideas?
Thanks.

mrdsgs 18:27 07 Jan 04

there is a solution which I have used with a digidoc with front mounted usb 2 ports and your problem but it is not for the faint hearted.!!!

I assume you have two front usb 2 ports because of the eight wires.

You need to get two usb2 cables and cut off the device ends !!!

Each cable should contain four coloured wires connect these to the wire ends from your front usb2 ports (colour matching) and then connect the pc end of the modified cables into the backplate connectors from your usb 2 pci card.

I have done this and all worked perfectly, I was patient and soldered the joints and then used heatshrink to ensure no short circuits.

Get it wrong and you will do serious damage to the pci card and probably to the motherboard

PROCEED WITH CAUTION IF YOU GO DOWN THIS ROUTE

woodchip 18:39 07 Jan 04

Why not just split the USB plug with a Stanley knife and push on the respective pins

dynosor 17:38 08 Jan 04

Thanks mrdsgs, I will give it a go. I was hoping there was a made up cable somewhere. I visited our local Maplins this afternoon and bought a double A-A cable which I intend cutting in half, and reconnect the ends, do you know? you cannot even buy the pin connectors so will have to use the original cable as you suggested. Thanks a lot for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…