Internal Speakers

alexgray104 23:30 22 Dec 06

Hi,

I am currently building a low powered budget end desktop. It has 512mb of RAM and an 80gb hard drive. It's gonna be for my business and it just needs to be able to type things up, burn records on to a CD and read emails, hence it being cheap. However, I'd quite like to listen to the Radio via the BBC's online service, which is where we come to the problem... I don't like much clutter around my desk and for the 20 mins max a week the radio is gonna be on, I don't think I can justify having a set of desktop speakers. I can remember on old pc's I had years ago they had a little speaker mounted in the case for the "bleeps" and "pings". I'm thinking this would be ideal for listening to the radio low volume.
Can anybody verify whether these would be suitable for the use?
Also where would I get them? as you don't see them around so much anymore.
Finally how would I connect them up as I haven't a clue. (I'd still like to retain if possible, the back speaker connectors and front headphone connectors and keep them "live")

Cheers
Alex

Jake_027 23:52 22 Dec 06

The speaker in your PC does exactly what you say, beeps (for the BIOS) only. They connect to the motherboard by jumpers I think, but windows cannot use them. If you don't want wiresyour best bet is to buy a monitor with integrated speakers, these will suffice for your needs. Other than that, it's desktop speakers I'm afraid.

Jake

Stuartli 23:55 22 Dec 06

PC system inbuilt speakers are basically intended for the beeps etc connected with the system's operation.

You could buy a cheap set of external speakers intended to be used with portable raidos or CD players (maximum a tenner) that will do what you wish and which can be disconnected and stored when not in use.

If you need a higher sound output you may have to look for speakers with a built-in amplifier but, even then, the extra cost will be minimal.

alexgray104 00:24 23 Dec 06

Cheers for the replies, I'm gonna go with Stuartli's idea I think and get a pair of walkman style ones. I'll wait until January Sales and hopefully pick up a pair for a fiver.

Cheers,

Alexgray104

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017