Internal ports on firewire cards

fsssh 06:02 31 Jan 03

does anyone have a pci firewire card with an internal socket as well as external ones? what are they for? i'm just wondering cos my pc case has a firewire port on the front but its not connected to anything, it came with a cable that attaches to the back of it and has a male firewire plug on the other end - i assume this is to plug into one of these internal sockets on a pci firewire card to let you plug stuff in via the front port on the case?i'm thinking about getting an ipod so any help on firewire ports would be much appreciated.

jazzypop 10:17 31 Jan 03

I got a dual-port one from dabs.com for about £11 - works fine in XP. It has an internal port, but I have had no need to use it yet.

Try Quicklinx: 179GWS on their site.

fsssh 17:09 05 Feb 03

what does the internal port do though? what kind of socket is it? is it a pin-header or a firewire plug?

jazzypop 20:02 06 Feb 03

The one I got was a standard firewire socket.

fsssh 22:10 06 Feb 03

whats it for tho? i mean, its inside the case, what do you connect it to?

SDJ 22:58 06 Feb 03

I have a Pinnacle pci firewire card and it too has an internal 6pin socket which I have connected it to the front port built into my Antec case. I had a few problems though as the case wires were the 6 individual wires which make up the 6pin plug so I had to get a 6pin cable strip one end and solder the case wires to the wire I bought and plugged the end into the PCI socket.

I now use the front socket built into the case just as I would the socket on the PCI card at the back of the base unit. Makes it easier than having to reach around the back.

I plug my camcorder into the front port on the case.

fsssh 02:25 07 Feb 03

cheers sdj thats what i thought it might be for, i couldnt imagine why else you would need an internal socket! just thought i would make sure!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…