Internal Modems

Southernboy 15:40 10 May 06

Given that so many people seem to have migrated to Broadband, why do new computers not come with a Broadband modem already fitted?

Or is it that each ISP has a modem that cannot be used with other ISPs?

Just curious.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:17 10 May 06

Some computers do have BB modems fitted. Most modems can be used with any ISP.

ade.h 16:33 10 May 06

I guess that it's mostly driven be the proliferation of "free" modems from the ISPs, which takes the onus away from the box shifters. A couple of quid saved per unit adds up!

Southernboy 16:43 10 May 06

if it is possible to ask for a BB modem when buying a new PC?

Diemmess 17:47 10 May 06

It depends on what haggling is possible with the seller.

For the above contributers' reasons, you might pay top whack and later find either you then have a spare!
Or you might want to indulge in some of the extra possibilities with BB, wi-fi and so on, and then the bargain suddenly seems less so.

woodchip 18:33 10 May 06

Why bother? most ISP's provide one when you join them for free

woodchip 18:35 10 May 06

As above it all comes down to economics. They used to say that safety would not sell cars. But look at how Volvo perform

pj123 22:25 10 May 06

Is it possible that no one has made an internal Broadband Modem yet???

ade.h 22:52 10 May 06

There are at least two around; one of which - from Zoom - is what I used to use before getting a router. The other is an Alcatel on Ebuyer.

Very good, too; I would have had to add a USB card to use an external modem, so buying just one component and having less clutter made a lot of sense.

ade.h 22:55 10 May 06

Found it click here=

pj123 14:30 11 May 06

Thanks, ade.h.

Do BB modems all conform to the same standard?

The old analogue dialup modems all seem to conform to the Hayes standard, meaning that any analogue modem would work in any computer.

I am on NTL cable so would the Zoom internal BB modem work on my system?

As pointed out by you and woodchip most ISPs supply a BB modem when you take up their offer, so there doesn't seem to be any point in having a built-in one.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…