Internal modem no dial tone problem

I have a system running XP Home with an internal PCI Smartlink 56k modem.

All of a sudden last week I started getting "no dial tone". I've tried changing the phone cable but that didn't help.

I have added an external modem and this dials up fine, using the same BT socket.

Last night I started getting a message to say that the modem port for the internal modem was in use. On a web site I found that this can be caused by the modems drivers, so I deleted the modem and rebooted. This picked the internal modem up okay and reinstalled the software. Now when I try to use the internal modem I get "no dial tone" again.

Is there anything I can try before going out and buying a new modem?

I tried using System Restore and took the system back to 2 days before this problem occured. That didn't help.

Could this be a driver problem, or a virus. I have the latest McAfee definitions file loaded, and a full scan shows no viruses. I also have the Agnitum firewall installed which is in Block Most mode.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Iain.

I did try doing a search on here first but everthing I searched for came back with no results. Is there a problem with this?

NadineCoyleRocks 10:15 20 May 03

As long as you have tried downloading the latest drivers for your int modem and you are dialling the exact same telephone number that you have used with the ext modem, it would definately hint that your int modem might be on the way out.

It might be worth removing the modem and also setting up your dial up to your ISP again to ensure its definately a h/w prob

I took the modem card out of my PC and gave it to one of the PC support people at work.

They fitted it into an XP machine and got exactly the same errors that I was getting.

I am expecting to have ADSL fitted in a short while, so I'll make do with the external 33.6K modem until then.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…